locating a disconnect on a separate structure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 400 amp meter base on a detached garage/shop w/ it's own 200A disconnect. I'm building a house that is located 35 feet away from meter base and separated from garage/shop by 15 feet. I was hoping to mount another 200A disconnect beside the first (on the garage), and feed the house with that, but after I read Article 225.32, it seems I will need to mount this disconnect directly on the house. Is this correct, or is there any other provision or exception that might allow me to mount the disconnect on a separate structure? I'm pretty sure exception #1 doesn't apply to me since it's a residence and I don't have any maintenance or monitoring! Thanks

hmspe

Occupation
PE
I would suggest asking the electrical inspector. Many jurisdictions allow a disconnect to be several feet from a structure. "Stand up" NEMA 3R services for commercial buildings are actually free-standing so there has to be some allowance. I've seen services 50' from a building approved as being "at the building".

ceb58

I have a 400 amp meter base on a detached garage/shop w/ it's own 200A disconnect. I'm building a house that is located 35 feet away from meter base and separated from garage/shop by 15 feet. I was hoping to mount another 200A disconnect beside the first (on the garage), and feed the house with that, but after I read Article 225.32, it seems I will need to mount this disconnect directly on the house. Is this correct, or is there any other provision or exception that might allow me to mount the disconnect on a separate structure? I'm pretty sure exception #1 doesn't apply to me since it's a residence and I don't have any maintenance or monitoring! Thanks
You can run your service conductors(3wire) from the meter base to the house and set a 200 amp main breaker panel inside "at closest point of entry" as long as those wires are out side of the dwelling. 230.70 (A)(1). But if you have your heart set on a disconnect at the garage and running a 4 wire feeder then you would follow 225.32.

My main breaker panel would not be at the closet point of entry, and my heart was set on having the disconnect on the garage, but following 225.32 leads me to believe this cannot be done to code. I will not have an inspector as we do not have a local code. I doulbe checked, made the call, and even asked the bank whom is providing the loan. I'm following the NEC book because I believe in it's principles.

ceb58

My main breaker panel would not be at the closet point of entry, and my heart was set on having the disconnect on the garage, but following 225.32 leads me to believe this cannot be done to code. I will not have an inspector as we do not have a local code. I doulbe checked, made the call, and even asked the bank whom is providing the loan. I'm following the NEC book because I believe in it's principles.
No reason it cant be.
225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed
either inside or outside of the building or structure
served or where the conductors pass through the building or
structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily
accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.
For the purposes of this section, the requirements
in 230.6 shall be utilized.
If you want a disco. on the garage then fine. Set another disco on the out side of the house and go to a main lug panel in the home. The only thing about doing it this way is you are wasting money on wire and disconnects. It would be cheaper to run 3 wire out side to a disco on the house and then to a main lug panel.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No reason it cant be. If you want a disco. on the garage then fine. Set another disco on the out side of the house and go to a main lug panel in the home. The only thing about doing it this way is you are wasting money on wire and disconnects. It would be cheaper to run 3 wire out side to a disco on the house and then to a main lug panel.

agree 100%.
Don't forget your house will need it's own grounding electrode system.

Status
Not open for further replies.