Location of breakers/panelboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

Re: Location of breakers/panelboards

I think 240.21 exception #1 clearly allows for the panelboards to be located in a central electric room behind a locked door only accesible by building management, wether onsite or on call. I think you have an over zealous inspector because as iwire stated, I have numerous buildings designed under these conditions and have not had one problem with an inspector or any tenant demanding access to their circuit breakers, most tenants do not want a panelboard within their space.

hurk27

I would think that fire codes would require that there be someone on site at all times that in the event of an emergency would have access to all area's of a building? If a building had a fire it would be prudent to be able to remove power, and what if the fire is in the power room? In most cases I have seen if there is a guard he would have keys available.

Then there is the real world. :eek:

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by apauling:
iwire, i can imagine several, can't you??

maybe every one who works in an office around you can't change a light bulb, but that's not true in the rest of the world.

paul :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bwyllie:
I think 240.21 exception #1 clearly allows for the panelboards to be located in a central electric room behind a locked door
That exception only applies to service and feeder breakers, not the branch circuits.

apauling

plug for piece of office equipment behind said equipment, short to frame at cord insert, small egc failed at short to metal at insert, not enough to trip breaker. i have seen this exact circumstance in an office.

but you probably can't imagine that; so much for the 230 requirments (99 nec). it says occupants, not owners. :p

bwyllie

true iwire but where does it state each tenant needs to have access to the branch circuits?. You are right that most of the work in MA allows what we are talking about. The only times I have seen tenants with their panleboards within their space is when the lease says so and these central electric room's wall space gets maxed out.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bwyllie:
true iwire but where does it state each tenant needs to have access to the branch circuits?.
240.24(A).

I am not saying I agree with this, but I belive it is what the NEC requires.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by apauling:
plug for piece of office equipment behind said equipment, short to frame at cord insert, small egc failed at short to metal at insert, not enough to trip breaker. i have seen this exact circumstance in an office.
And this requires 'fast' access to the breaker?

Who in the office would know which breaker in which panel to shut off?

Oh wait I forgot, office people in your area are adapt at electrical systems. :)

heco

Befor an overcurrent device is reset..."It must be checked by a "Qualified Person" to determin if it can be reclosed safely.....why did it trip...Over load, short circuit or Ground Faul...better be a Qualified person to make the determination...NFPA 70-E 130.6.k

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by heco:
Befor an overcurrent device is reset..."It must be checked by a "Qualified Person" to determin if it can be reclosed safely.....why did it trip...Over load, short circuit or Ground Faul...better be a Qualified person to make the determination...NFPA 70-E 130.6.k
Just how would even a competent person determine why a CB tripped?

pierre

This requirement has been in the NEC for quite some time. It has also been overlooked by many for probably as long.
Times have changed since this has been written, and I believe a code change here might work. The problem I see is this will be difficult at best to rewrite and make it work for the different conditions that now exist if the field.

Pierre

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

240.24(B) Occupancy. Each occupant shall have ready access to all overcurrent devices protecting the conductors supplying that occupancy.

There are a couple exceptions, but they would not seem to apply to any normal case.

The code seems very clear on this issue. And its as it should be. having to call in a maint guy to reset a tripped branch CB is silly.

I can understand having someone come in if the main trips, since there might well be something seriously wrong, but for a single branch CB, it seems like serious overkill.

Originally posted by jimwalker:
So just give every tenant a key.Problem solved.Hand inspector a doughnut
That is one idea, but then wouldn't you be allowing unqualified person(s) into an area that is required to be accessible to only qualified personnel?

Status
Not open for further replies.