Loud electronic ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I changed a Phillips Advance T-12 ballast (Model RELB1S40SC for 3 or 4 foot ballasts) for an single tube F30 tube which the ballast is rated to supply. Within 30 minutes it started to buzz like an old style magnetic ballast. I beleive the sound must be coming from the ballast... is it due to bad endholders/contact, or simply a defective ballast? Thanks again in advance.

ron

I'm confused. Did you leave the RELB-1S40-SC in there or replace it? If you replaced it, then it is likely a balast with a high sound rating.

As I read further, I guess you replaced it with a RELB-1S40-SC since that is only rated for 1 lamp. It has a Class A sound rating. Maybe vibration from the lamp holders? Touch the lamp and see if the sound changes.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I changed a Phillips Advance T-12 ballast (Model RELB1S40SC for 3 or 4 foot ballasts) for an single tube F30 tube which the ballast is rated to supply. Within 30 minutes it started to buzz like an old style magnetic ballast. I beleive the sound must be coming from the ballast... is it due to bad endholders/contact, or simply a defective ballast? Thanks again in advance.

It could be that the ballast is just loose .

Try to tighten up the screws.

powerplay

My thought was that it was a 4 foot ballast trying to drive an 3 foot one....and was wondering if damage would have caused the hum, but it says good for 3 or 4 foot F30. i've heard that 10% electonics seems to be a failure rate at times...did I get lucky and findone?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
My thought was that it was a 4 foot ballast trying to drive an 3 foot one....and was wondering if damage would have caused the hum, but it says good for 3 or 4 foot F30. i've heard that 10% electonics seems to be a failure rate at times...did I get lucky and findone?

There's your answer right there. If the ballast is 3 or 4' long I would expect it to hum or take off and fly!:lol:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Most Ballast that are rated for 4' lamps will also be rated for 3' lamps so i would try another ballast.

Status
Not open for further replies.