Low roof line

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

How do you get a new circuit from panel when roof lin is to low. I cant even reach 5' to where the panel is in the attic. I usually do comm. but have been
getting service calls from customers that want a circuit or two. I dont know how you residetnial service guys do it!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Loads of fun, I had to install a panel in the kitchen of a dinner theatre that was housed in an old stock exchange building circa 1800's. Joist height at the electrical room end was about 2', the other end 50' away was less than 12", luckily at that end they added on to the building raising the joist height to almost 3'. Pushing 50' of 2" emt across the old joist at just the right angle to miss all of the bracing was loads of fun. (the new panel was at almost a 45 degree angle from the electrical room). That was the largest conduit run I've ever had to push. (the inspector wasn't about to climb into that small space to see if it was strapped!)

ceb58

Situations like that we strip the romex back about 6'', cut the black and white out and bend a loop in the ground wire. Push it through the hole and catch the loop with the hook on a set of glow sticks.

hurk27

around here National homes built many of these little 600-800sq.ft. prefab houses back in the "40s" thru early "60s" they had a 2/12 pitch roof and at the attic opening in the center you were lucky to have 14" of head room, inside walls were 1"x with cross blocks all the way down, and impossible to get anything down, we always tell the owner /builder we might have to cut openings to get to these types of panels, many were rewired on the surface, wire mold or conduit their choice.:grin:

danickstr

the glow sticks are a good idea, if there is already a hole drilled for you :)

If there is no hole, then what I have done in the past, although it is a bit of a pain, is to pop out a large KO and drill up through the panel hole into the top plate with one of those bendy 5 foot drill bits for 35 bucks. They have to pay for the bit or else its drywall/plaster repair - their choice. Just use a KO reducer to backfill your work after you push up your new romex with a glo stick and fish it from the accessible part of the attic.

Once you have fed enough up there, you are sort of working backwards so your romex connector has to go on, then the washer, etc. Then use the tightened down romex conn. to pull the washer tight.

Watch out for existing romex when you drill!!!!!

One other thing I have done is to pop out another KO so I can see what I am doing with my flashlight. Plug it when done.

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
sounds like the panel is on the exterior wall;

in that case, i exit the rear of the cabinet w/ an LB on the exterior wall, transition to carflex up through the soffit and into the attic, then set carflex on a JB.

PetrosA

My method of choice in a really bad situation would be to cut out a section of drywall above the panel (stud to stud and high enough to get a drill into) then replace that when I'm done. If you use the flex bit, be REALLY careful of existing wires. Plowing through them will create a very expensive repair that you'll have to eat.

GUNNING

Gone Fishin!

Gone Fishin!

Fish it. I have just discovered the joys of notching drywall at the top to facilitate fishing. Much easier than crawling all the way to the eves. Fish with a

fish tape
glow stick with a hook on the end
tape measure
piece of hard copper #6 or #8 or #4
long piece of conduit with a hook on the end
expandable stick with a hook on the end

If you can put a couple of wraps of string on the end of the wire before you poke it up to catch the hook its easier ... sometimes. Takes lots of patients and the ability to find things in the dark.

Skills which can be useful later on in life when your eyes go.

220/221

For long distances, if you have a big enough opening, you can push about 50 feet of 1/2" PVC thru a small space. Tape the leading edge to help it glide over joists and tape the sections together at the belled ends/ untape them as you pull them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.