Man electrocuted in Lake Lanier

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

24 yr old died after being electrocuted in Lake Lanier GA on Thursday. No details as to the source yet, but the article says they were able to pull him in after turning off electricity to the dock he jumped from.

I’ve quoted this dock mounted electrical current detector to at least half a dozen people at the lake in my town over the last couple of years but have yet to sell one. Have to wonder if it would’ve saved this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Back in the 70's and 80's when I had a boat and lived near the Delaware river, electrical installations at private docks and marinas were downright scary. Like handy boxes and romex kind of scary. I remember one dock with BX held by romex staples

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I posted this on another recent thread, I’ve only installed one. They have a bunch of other goodies they want to sell you. In their YouTube video, they make the claim they you need to drive one or two ground rods to get less than 25 ohm’s LOL!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I posted this on another recent thread, I’ve only installed one. They have a bunch of other goodies they want to sell you. In their YouTube video, they make the claim they you need to drive one or two ground rods to get less than 25 ohm’s LOL!

Were you able to do any testing to confirm the device works? I’ve never installed one, I just found it through a web search when customers started asking about it.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I'd like to know what exactly the devices measure.

Voltage relative to some external point?

Voltage gradient in the water?

Current in the water?

Do they only respond to 60Hz (ish)? What about DC?

The web info on the devices is pretty sparse.

Jon

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
I asked nearly the same question(s) in the other thread, no answer.

Impression is outrageous prices for perforated tubes and snake oil pamphlet.
What are the patent numbers, if any?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery

Current in the water?

Jon

Somebody using a telephone magneto to catch fish 🤣

But seriously, I was wondering the same thing

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
here is the patent, somehow took 1/2 hour to find, wonder why the dock lifeguard does not list any patent.

US9959734B1​

PS suggestion: drop the egregious price (get it make in CHina) by a factor of twenty and sell 50X more if REALLY interested in safety.

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Were you able to do any testing to confirm the device works? I’ve never installed one, I just found it through a web search when customers started asking about it.

They will sell you a tester for a hefty price, I just built my own. Momentary switch, battery, and inverter. (Can’t use dock power because it will trip the gfi.) Couldn’t get the voltage high enough to trip the alarm, but it did show an increase of voltage. The customer said he was going to get his neighbors to install one on their docks, and I would have lots of them to do, but never did. He had a new gangway put in so he wouldn’t have to disconnect the dock in the winter. It was around 50’ long!

hillbilly1

Occupation

Current in the water?

Jon
Voltage gradient in the water. It has a wire probe you stick in the water under the dock. You can set the alarm point to trip the gfi. Has an audible alarm.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Looks like they changed the sensing electrode that goes in the water. The one I installed was much smaller.
A properly bonded dock is actually less safe if the voltage is not originating from a source not from it. Ground fault protection for the dock will not see that current.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
I am confused.:unsure:
Doesn't the code cover this with GFI protected outlets installed near water environments? As I recall the GF current that flows in the water is limited to 5 MA before it trips the circuit. Low enough for people protection. Or are we seeing people dying in spite of this protection?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
My suggestion for everyone ... stay out of the water, salt or fresh. When I go into my pool, I shut off the power.