max receptacles on 20a residential circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jute

Hi, I have an inspector telling me I can only put (8) on a 20A circuit and I think I can put 12/13 on a 20a circuit...I always thought from reading on this forum that there wasn't a max on how many outlets are on a 20a residential circuit?? I tried a search and couldn't find any previous post but I have read this ? before on here??? Thanks, JB

iwire

Staff member
jute said:
Hi, I have an inspector telling me I can only put (8) on a 20A circuit and I think I can put 12/13 on a 20a circuit...

What code section did he cite?

I always thought from reading on this forum that there wasn't a max on how many outlets are on a 20a residential circuit??

For dwelling units there is no limit in the NEC.

receptacles

receptacles

On conservative electrical outlet runs I have been told by old timers , the inspectors wanted 8 receptacles on a circuit . But I do believe their is no limit on residential code .

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
electricmanscott said:
I just wired a house with 36 receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. :grin:

icon14.gif

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
For dwelling units there is no limit in the NEC.

There may not be per se but using the same argument as the 180va/ recep argument you can use the 3 va/ sq.ft for residential. That does not necessarily limit the # of receptacles but it may limit the # of circuits feeding an area greater than 600 sq. feet for a 15 amp circuit.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
electricmanscott said:

I think I have wired spec homes with no more recepts than that total! :grin:

One of the local cities used to limit to no more than 8 in residential, so it just became habit, but I do not believe that is in force anymore. At least I don't pay attention to it.

electricmanscott

electricmanscott said:

They are under all the windows even the attic and controlled from a set of three ways. The house is a reproduction cape and they will have candle lights plugged in year round. Apparently that was how they did things in 1850.

PS- Don't ask what rooms may or may not have these receptacles in them. :wink:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
.....based on that I do not see it as a sq ft issue.

I don't either. I was just adding info to the thread that may be helpful. I believe I stated that it didn't limit the # of recep. You could have a room ( 10x12) with 40 receptacles in it and there should be no issue. Design becomes the issue rather than code.

mdshunk

dSilanskas said:
I know there is no limit as to the amount of recepticals you can put on a circuit but why would you put 36?
I think he was saying that they were for the window candle circuit. I've had to do that myself many times. That's one time when you also often need to AFCI and GFCI protect that circuit, since the receptacles are often in baths, garages, and bedrooms. The window candle circuit is a more common feature in the Northeast.

electricmanscott

mdshunk said:
I think he was saying that they were for the window candle circuit. . That's one time when you also often need to AFCI and GFCI protect that circuit, since the receptacles are often in baths, garages, and bedrooms.
Yup, that's what I was saying. If they knew how much extra it cost them they may have been more inclined to just plug 'em in and leave 'em. :wink:

Davis9

electricmanscott said:
Yup, that's what I was saying. If they knew how much extra it cost them they may have been more inclined to just plug 'em in and leave 'em. :wink:

Yeah, and with 3 and 4-way switches everywhere it adds up. Nice upsell though round here as well.
Tom

mdshunk

Davis9 said:
Yeah, and with 3 and 4-way switches everywhere it adds up. Nice upsell though round here as well.
Tom
I like to do my window candle circuit with a time clock. Most people desire them on all night anyhow. There is a specialized low-voltage window candle system, that has little jacks in the windowsill that you install and plug window candles right into them. The hardware is specialized for that system, and you often end up about the same price as a line voltage system that uses the window candles from the dollar store.

http://windowcandles.com/product.php

image.php

Last edited:

Davis9

mdshunk said:
I like to do my window candle circuit with a time clock. Most people desire them on all night anyhow. There is a specialized low-voltage window candle system, that has little jacks in the windowsill that you install and plug window candles right into them. The hardware is specialized for that system, and you often end up about the same price as a line voltage system that uses the window candles from the dollar store.

http://windowcandles.com/product.php

image.php

That is some nice stuff there Mark. I use a TC on my own personal house w/overide switch just in case. I find that I don't like leaving the lights on all night(paying for them).LOL

Tom

mdshunk

electricmanscott said:
Holy cow. I wish I had seen that two months ago. I would have sold that system no problem. Very cool.
The Window Candle low voltage system has been around for probably 20 years. They used to run it on sort of an Amway/Multilevel marketing type of scheme thing, but the product is sound. Their website still says about limited territories and other such bull. You can get the window candle stuff at any good lighting dealer, in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.