max receptacles on 20a residential circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Energy-Miser said:
To get back to the OP, is there a limit for number of 20a receptacles on commercial 20a branch circuits? e/m.
Yes, there is. 180va per yoke. Window candles were just more interesting. :)

e57

Sure you can put 3000 recepticals on a residential circuit - is it a good idea - NO.... Let common sense dictate? Maybe there should be a limit?

Energy-Miser

mdshunk said:
Yes, there is. 180va per yoke. Window candles were just more interesting. :)
Thanks Marc, but that is also a guideline for residential. What I really wanted to know is if there is an NEC requirement for max number in commercial applications. e/m

LawnGuyLandSparky

mdshunk said:
I think he was saying that they were for the window candle circuit. I've had to do that myself many times. That's one time when you also often need to AFCI and GFCI protect that circuit, since the receptacles are often in baths, garages, and bedrooms. The window candle circuit is a more common feature in the Northeast.

It's practically a code requirement in Pennsylvania and upstate NY!

bigjohn67

The Code

The Code

Nowhere in the code does it limit how many outlets you can put on a circuit.
However....
It is in the code that each yolk to be calculated at 180va
With that said, the code also states that, in many direct and indirect ways, that you compute the circuit to 120% of the load (80% of the circuit size for the load)

With that said, I'll leave it up to yall to figure how many 15 amp outlets you can put on a 20 amp circuit at 120 volts.

I have this argument with the guys all the time that the code does not specifically state the maximum number of outlets for a residential circuit. Once we do the math, I always win....

stickboy1375

410ecm06fig3.jpg

Fig. 3. The minimum load for each commercial general-use receptacle outlet is 180VA per strap. In this example, the 15A, 120V breaker could accommodate 1,800VA of load (120V315A 5 1,800VA). Therefore, you could install a total of 10 receptacles on this circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
electricmanscott said:
They are under all the windows even the attic and controlled from a set of three ways. The house is a reproduction cape and they will have candle lights plugged in year round. Apparently that was how they did things in 1850.

PS- Don't ask what rooms may or may not have these receptacles in them. :wink:

Ok, why do people put window candles in their house in the first place? I see them around here on occasion and continually ask....why?:-?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
bigjohn67 said:
Not for dwellings.

bigjohn67 said:
With that said, the code also states that, in many direct and indirect ways, that you compute the circuit to 120% of the load (80% of the circuit size for the load)
This is only for continuous loads and receptacles are not loads.

bigjohn67 said:
With that said, I'll leave it up to yall to figure how many 15 amp outlets you can put on a 20 amp circuit at 120 volts.

I have this argument with the guys all the time that the code does not specifically state the maximum number of outlets for a residential circuit. Once we do the math, I always win....

And doing the math there is no limit for residential.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
bigjohn67 said:

Where does it say you must calculate the load for receptacles at 80% of the circuit? Unless it is a continuous load then you don't figure 80% as stickboy has shown-- you figure it at 100%. Thus a 20 amp circuit is 20 times 120volts= 2400 VA . 2400/180= 13.3 or 13 receptacles.

Edit--- and yes as roger said it does not apply to residential.-- Must have been typing at the same time.

jerm

Two non-interesting things to add:

Tulsa code amending NEC 02:
In residences, there shall be no more than nine (9) light fixtures to a circuit. Branch circuit distribution shall be limited to no more than ten (10) receptacle outlets to a circuit.

And secondly, we just wired 36 keyless fixtures on one circuit for a new laser tag arena. They're putting these really bright 2 watt LED bulbs (edison base and transformer) in each one, for a total draw of 72 watts, and insisted that they be switched on a single. They're also paying for copper so we couldn't divide them up at all! I warned the owner that when they change out those bulbs to larger ones they were going to be tripping the breaker! And have you priced T8 black light bulbs recently? We put in 48 there for about $1100...

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
In residences, there shall be no more than nine (9) light fixtures to a circuit.

they made this ammendment w/ no regards to the wattage of each fixture? so can you only have 9 65w recessed lights on a circuit, yet have 9 600w chandeliers on a circuit (of course you wouldn't, but you know what i mean)?

jerm

brantmacga said:
they made this ammendment w/ no regards to the wattage of each fixture? so can you only have 9 65w recessed lights on a circuit, yet have 9 600w chandeliers on a circuit (of course you wouldn't, but you know what i mean)?

Since you asked, here's the rest:

Exception: Recessed Luminaires (Lighting Fixtures). A circuit supplying recessed
luminaire(s) shall be computed based on the maximum volt-ampere rating of the
equipment and lamps for which the luminaire(s) is rated.
Exception: In kitchens, utility rooms, and garages there shall be no more than two
(2) receptacle outlets to a circuit.

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
jerm said:
Since you asked, here's the rest:

Exception: Recessed Luminaires (Lighting Fixtures). A circuit supplying recessed
luminaire(s) shall be computed based on the maximum volt-ampere rating of the
equipment and lamps for which the luminaire(s) is rated.

never skip the details. :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.