May I ask a question about the single vs two phase stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Are you kidding? This whole discussion is a tangent! :D

Lol. Fair enough.

At some point I had hopes that some conclusions could be drawn about which mathematical functions better describe certain real world aspects of the system. But it seems no one wants to have that discussion.

jumper

Lol. Fair enough.

At some point I had hopes that some conclusions could be drawn about which mathematical functions better describe certain real world aspects of the system. But it seems no one wants to have that discussion.

I would like to talk about that aspect. But we never get that far because it always goes back to the basics being confused.

There are at least four different sub topics in this thread if not more. Totally muddled again.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
At some point I had hopes that some conclusions could be drawn about which mathematical functions better describe certain real world aspects of the system.
OK, let's try that.

In the idealized system with sine wave voltages of frequency f, we have two relations that both hold: (A) VL1-N(t) = - VL2-N(t) and (B) VL1-N(t) = VL2-N(t - 1/2f). So what are the ways in which the real world differs from the idealized? Here's the start of a list:

1) Primary voltage is not a pure sine wave.
2) Primary voltage source is not infinitely stiff.
3) Secondary windings are not identical.
4) Secondary conductors have non-zero impedance
5) Secondary loads are not purely resistive.
6) Secondary loads are unbalanced.
7) Secondary loads are non-linear.

Probably there are a bunch more. Under which of those realities (taken individually) will (A) or (B) still hold?

Cheers, Wayne

Besoeker

Only in context. Only works as a comparison under ideal conditions, balanced resistive load.

Will not work under normal/real conditions.
And if you consider the vectors/waveforms as L1-N and the other as N-L2 rather the conventional......

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
And if you consider the vectors/waveforms as L1-N and the other as N-L2 rather the conventional......
. . . which I apparently do, because it means that the center tap does not change how the secondary functions as a whole.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
OK, let's try that.

In the idealized system with sine wave voltages of frequency f, we have two relations that both hold: (A) VL1-N(t) = - VL2-N(t) and (B) VL1-N(t) = VL2-N(t - 1/2f). So what are the ways in which the real world differs from the idealized? Here's the start of a list:

1) Primary voltage is not a pure sine wave.
2) Primary voltage source is not infinitely stiff.
3) Secondary windings are not identical.
4) Secondary conductors have non-zero impedance
5) Secondary loads are not purely resistive.
6) Secondary loads are unbalanced.
7) Secondary loads are non-linear.

Probably there are a bunch more. Under which of those realities (taken individually) will (A) or (B) still hold?

Cheers, Wayne

Yeah, good. I'll hold off bringing back in generators and inverters until we've settled on answers for a single phase-primary transformer.

Besoeker

. . . which I apparently do, because it means that the center tap does not change how the secondary functions as a whole.
120-0-120.
Call it what you will, select whichever common reference you wish.
I'm just a pragmatic old phart.

Ingenieur

Ideal series load.

02168.png

Even some math.

12111.png

Doesn’t change a thing.

the signing convention is wrong
if at common you have a + and - the associated v's must be opposite signs
as is you have a line shorted to ground
also the currents are both wrong as are the loads

jumper

the signing convention is wrong
if at common you have a + and - the associated v's must be opposite signs
as is you have a line shorted to ground
also the currents are both wrong as are the loads

It was a simple point. The neutral is just an extra wire as defined by the pic. It is a really 240V series circuit.

The + and - just show series supply.

It is from the OP tutorial. Same tutorial Mivey and I have used for years.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/alternating-current/chpt-10/single-phase-power-systems/

It makes sense it the context it is used for.

jumper

it's not valid
observing convention and for power to flow
v rise on source
v drop on load
i - to + on source and load

Iggy please glance at the tutorial, that section was just part of the progression that leads to conventional analysis.

It leads to this: - and + are reference points for scope.

02170.png

Split phase 120/240 Vac source is equivalent to two series aiding 120 Vac sources.

To mathematically calculate voltage between “hot” wires, we must subtract voltages, because their polarity marks show them to be opposed to each other:

12112.png

If we mark the two sources’ common connection point (the neutral wire) with the same polarity mark (-), we must express their relative phase shifts as being 180o apart. Otherwise, we’d be denoting two voltage sources in direct opposition with each other, which would give 0 volts between the two “hot” conductors.

jumper

So,

“If we mark the two sources’ common connection point (the neutral wire) with the same polarity mark (-), we must express their relative phase shifts as being 180o apart. Otherwise, we’d be denoting two voltage sources in direct opposition with each other, which would give 0 volts between the two “hot” conductors.”

Leads to this:

02177.png

Two 120 V signals and and a 240V signal. 120V signals referenced to the noodle. 240V L-L.

Ingenieur

So,

“If we mark the two sources’ common connection point (the neutral wire) with the same polarity mark (-), we must express their relative phase shifts as being 180o apart. Otherwise, we’d be denoting two voltage sources in direct opposition with each other, which would give 0 volts between the two “hot” conductors.”

Leads to this:

02177.png

Two 120 V signals and and a 240V signal. 120V signals referenced to the noodle. 240V L-L.

thanks
got it

gar

Occupation
EE
180803-1618 EDT

Ingenieur:

In your post #732 in the circuit diagram you have corrected some errors of other drawings of this circuit, but now have added an error by reversing the + and - s on the loads.

The sum of the voltages around a loop must equal 0. Thus, the polarity signing on source and load must be the same for the same wire. With the top end of the source being labeled + this means the top end of the load must be +.

A source has a rise in voltage in going from - to + thru the source, and a load has a drop in voltage in going from + to - thru the load.

For those unhappy + and - being used in an AC, then view the drawing as labeled being for one instant of time.

Ingenieur

180803-1618 EDT

Ingenieur:

In your post #732 in the circuit diagram you have corrected some errors of other drawings of this circuit, but now have added an error by reversing the + and - s on the loads.

The sum of the voltages around a loop must equal 0. Thus, the polarity signing on source and load must be the same for the same wire. With the top end of the source being labeled + this means the top end of the load must be +.

A source has a rise in voltage in going from - to + thru the source, and a load has a drop in voltage in going from + to - thru the load.

For those unhappy + and - being used in an AC, then view the drawing as labeled being for one instant of time

around the loop - to + is a positive v or rise
+vsource + vload = 0 or vsource = -vload
assume source = 10 (rise) the load = -10 (drop)

10 + (-10) = 0

???

Ingenieur

Your drawing looked fine to me.

I gotta and read gar again. I think we got a small mix up going.

You both are saying the same thing I think.

I think I see what he is saying, the load polarities should be reversed
kinda iffy, it could go either way
he thinks the load neg should be on the system common/ground

my way, at load
v = -v
i =+i since flow is - to +
p = +v x -i = -vi
negative to me implies load is absorbing power
positive would be supplying
???

Status
Not open for further replies.