Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Is that really MC?
I can see the time clock is a pvc / plastic enclosure
How is the clock grounded? Provisions in time clock for grounding? Bonding bushings?
Is the AC / MC even grounded in the bell boxes?

I think the use of AC/MC is only one issue here amid probably a half dozen other violations that are just as bad. Obvious DIY/hacker job that all needs to be torn out.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
Whoever originally put up the WP boxes probably thought they were needed...

If the MC isn't allowed, neither is that timer enclosure.
Without a little closer examination....that possibly is a outdoor rated timer enclosure, they don't look much different from afar or at wrong angles.

Those (3) boxes originally had photocells for controlling the common space lighting and outdoor lighting for the multi-occupancy residence. The building occupants didn't like the lights on all night long so the builder had someone (probably the landscaper) install the outdoor rated time clock and configure that wiring so the lights shut off at a certain time. These boxes are under the floor of the residence above. The weather does not directly rain in them so i would assume this is a damp location not wet?

So other that ugly as heck, i succumb to the fact that the wiring is code compliant but are the connectors UL listed for damp locations?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Those (3) boxes originally had photocells for controlling the common space lighting and outdoor lighting for the multi-occupancy residence. The building occupants didn't like the lights on all night long so the builder had someone (probably the landscaper) install the outdoor rated time clock and configure that wiring so the lights shut off at a certain time. These boxes are under the floor of the residence above. The weather does not directly rain in them so i would assume this is a damp location not wet?

So other that ugly as heck, i succumb to the fact that the wiring is code compliant but are the connectors UL listed for damp locations?

Is the time clock box possibly exposed to rain or wind-driven or not? Are the WP boxes possibly exposed to wind-driven rain or not?

kwired

Electron manager
single whip of liquidtight (metallic or NM, pick your poision) would look better then two whips down to the timer. Also why not run it out of the end hub on the box instead of out of the cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.