meggering romex

Status
Not open for further replies.
masterelect1 said:
Hope this helps. I cut my teeth in the shipyard doing ship repair. An inherent problem aboard ocean going vessels(re: electrical systems) is water-go figure.

Anyhow, learning how to use a megger was of the utmost importance. I used a Biddle 500 volt crank type megger. Aboard ship the electrical dist system is ungrounded as a ground on one phase does not interrupt the system from functioning. Last thing you want is to be dead in the water. So, as soon as a ground appeared on the monitoring sys. an electrical person was dispatched to find the culprit and clear it if possible as a ground on another phase would cause system failure.

Many of the older ships were DC (240/120 volt) and had ungrounded systems also. Most shorebird electricians have trouble understanding this concept (understandably) but if shipboard lighting/receptacle circuits had an intentionally grounded conductor most of the circuits would be compromised, i.e. not working, due to water in fixtures, etc...

The point of this is that a megger in the right hands is a very useful tool and has multiple uses such as phase to phase insulation testing, phase to ground insulation testing, and continuity of conductors from point A to B. On the ohms scale it can be used to measure resistance between conductors and of component parts, such as coils but is not as accurate as a VOM ,IMO.

This is interesting.
Just a question.
If the ship was to be in a battle, and more than one circuit was destroyed in the battle, how would this affect the ungrounded system?

Energy-Miser

brian john said:
Thumper 14"X14"X40" and a control unit 24"X18"X18" as I remember, owned by utilities and some testing companies.

#2 pencil on notebook paper and 1000 VDC, though thinner paper does works better
I imagine it will work too with a smaller voltage (110 VAC), if you make the length of the pencil markings much shorter and / or wider to reduce resistance.

mdshunk

Krim said:
So, it is a good sized piece of equipment on a tow behind trailer ?
Carl :confused:
There might be some that big, but mostly they're hand-carry (heavy!) or mounted on a dolly type situation. It sends a high voltage pulse down the cable at a certain interval, and you can feel the "thump" of each pulse in the soles of your boots when you're walking around trying to find the faulted area. It is quite a strong thud right over the fault or break. I've never really needed to use any hearing instruments with it, but it might be helpful near heavy vehicular traffic areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.