Member rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is member rating and what does it mean to have 5 stars under your name ? Does that make you a 5-star general ? Is it a prestige thing ? Many of the members in the "old forum" had the number of posts they've submitted adjacent to their names. How do I improve my rating ? Does it entitle me to anything that 5-star members have ?
Also, in the old forum, when you posted a message, the column on the left indicated who posted the message. Now it uses your "sign-on" name. Is this the right thing to do ?

Just curious,

Phil Bufis
Gold Star Electric
Ringwood, NJ

[ February 24, 2003, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

charlie

Re: Member rating

I am assuming (that is a word that always gets me into trouble) the object is to get you to rate the answers and/or helpfulness of the respondents. Those with lesser amounts of stars would be disregarded while those with lots of stars will be more highly regarded. Give a bad answer or p _ _ _ someone off and get one star . . . HMMM.

Is this really a good system? :confused:

iwire

Staff member

I think all the rating system will do is discourage people from asking questions, or posting replies. :(
Bob

Len_B

Perhaps we could turn it into a "Reality Forum" --- we could call it "CODE QUOTIN' SURVIVOR". Every day we could vote someone out... ;) ...nevermind.

nosparks

;) Regardless of our differences I think that the member rating is crap. We have and always will disagree (well not always). But this was designed for learning and sharing. The rating system has got to go!

Len_B

We have and always will disagree (well not always). But this was designed for learning and sharing.
An open forum such as this is one of the best ways to learn. Open debate requires us to examine our position/opinion and logically defend it. Right or wrong, we are forced to learn. Members should never afraid to post their thoughts because of "five star ratings" or fear of being ridiculed for an "incorrect response". When this happens we lose the benefit of the members' combined knowledge, which is the forum's fundamental purpose.

Len

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Charlie, you must have done that, you're way to respected for anyone to rate you below five.

Roger

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC

Ill be the lone ranger with no stars. I hope the majority of us kept a similar name. I just got to know everyone and their posts.

davedottcom

Stars...we don't need no stinkin stars!

I went to my "Profile" and chose to Not have my member rating displayed...that pretty much took care of that!!!

To whom ever designed this new forum:
Good Job...I give you 5 stars!

:D

Dave

tim

Give me the old forum back. This is to d_mn hard. Plus, can I rate myself? :) :p

tim

Give me the old forum back. This is to d_mn hard. Plus, can I rate myself? :eek: :roll:

gardiner

Not that I post much here other then asking questions and trying to learn but this star rating is really not the way to go. I thought this forum was to discuss question not a popularity contest.

john

I dont visit the forum as much as I use too.
Its to hard to browse thru all the topics.
If the last one wasnt broke, why did they fix it.
In my opinion it was a bad move to change it.

chris white

The star thing has pretty much turned into a joke. I made a comment about not having any stars, then the next day I had 5. Whatever...

I think if everybody here was in agreement that the rating system is meaningless, and that we don't want to cause confusion among new members, we can all just turn that feature off in our profiles. Then we'll all have no rating. Those of us who have been reading and/or posting for a long time know who the real experts are. By clicking on the member's name you can still see their profile, even without the rating feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.