Microwave over range minimum clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does anyone know the minimum clearance the bottom of a built-in microwave unit has to have above the range burners ? My memory tells me that it's 18" but I'm getting old and I don't want to rely on my memory. Not sure if it's an NEC issue or a building code issue but I think the logic is that you should be able to put a large pot on the cook top and be able to stir it. If anyone knows of a code reference would you please post it ?

Thanks

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Does anyone know the minimum clearance the bottom of a built-in microwave unit has to have above the range burners ? My memory tells me that it's 18" but I'm getting old and I don't want to rely on my memory. Not sure if it's an NEC issue or a building code issue but I think the logic is that you should be able to put a large pot on the cook top and be able to stir it. If anyone knows of a code reference would you please post it ?

Thanks

30"

So you won't have to take my word for it, look up or "google" IRC M1901.1

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
30"

That's actually to the top, the op wants the bottom clearance. Kitchenaide says 14 1/2" or no less than 2" above the top of the control panel on the range. Both are pretty darn close to the top of the range.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That's actually to the top, the op wants the bottom clearance. Kitchenaide says 14 1/2" or no less than 2" above the top of the control panel on the range. Both are pretty darn close to the top of the range.
No it isn't.
The 30 inches is from the burners to any thing above, which would be the bottom of a microwave hood.

Freestanding or built-in ranges shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) to unprotected combustible material. Reduced clearances are permitted in accordance with the listing and labeling of the range hoods or appliances. The installation of a listed and labeled cooking appliance or microwave oven over a listed and labeled cooking appliance shall be in accordance with Section M1504.1.

From what I am reading here, that is from the bottom of any unprotected combustable material, unless the clearances can be reduced by the listing and labeling by the manufacturer (the appliance is UL 923 listed)

jumper

30"

Here is the reference:

M1901.1 Clearances.
Freestanding or built-in ranges shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) to unprotected combustible material. Reduced clearances are permitted in accordance with the listing and labeling of the range hoods or appliances. The installation of a listed and labeled cooking appliance or microwave oven over a listed and labeled cooking appliance shall be in accordance with Section M1504.1. The clearances for a domestic open-top broiler unit shall be in accordance with Section M1505.1.

hillbilly1

Occupation
No it isn't.
The 30 inches is from the burners to any thing above, which would be the bottom of a microwave hood.

Freestanding or built-in ranges shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) to unprotected combustible material. Reduced clearances are permitted in accordance with the listing and labeling of the range hoods or appliances. The installation of a listed and labeled cooking appliance or microwave oven over a listed and labeled cooking appliance shall be in accordance with Section M1504.1.

From what I am reading here, that is from the bottom of any unprotected combustable material, unless the clearances can be reduced by the listing and labeling by the manufacturer (the appliance is UL 923 listed)

Heres what Kitchen Aid specs.
http://www.kitchenaid.com/assets/pdfs/product/ZINSTALL/KHHC2090SSS_Installation%20Instruction_EN.pdf

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Here is the reference:

M1901.1 Clearances.
Freestanding or built-in ranges shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) to unprotected combustible material. Reduced clearances are permitted in accordance with the listing and labeling of the range hoods or appliances. The installation of a listed and labeled cooking appliance or microwave oven over a listed and labeled cooking appliance shall be in accordance with Section M1504.1. The clearances for a domestic open-top broiler unit shall be in accordance with Section M1505.1.

Yes, that is exactly what I posted.

I also summarized what you have bold and colored:that is from the bottom of any unprotected combustable material, unless the clearances can be reduced by the listing and labeling by the manufacturer (the appliance is UL 923 listed)

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I know what Kitchenaid specs. Is that what the OP has?

He asked a question; "Does anyone know the minimum clearance the bottom of a built-in microwave unit has to have above the range burners" , and I answered it with a code reference. It is up to the OP to make sure his particular microwave meets the 30" minimum, or the manufacturer's specifications for the particular hood, according to their listing.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I know what Kitchenaid specs. Is that what the OP has?

He asked a question; "Does anyone know the minimum clearance the bottom of a built-in microwave unit has to have above the range burners" , and I answered it with a code reference. It is up to the OP to make sure his particular microwave meets the 30" minimum, or the manufacturer's specifications for the particular hood, according to their listing.

You will find most manufactures have similar clearances. Never seen one put above a range that wasn't a combo or have a separate vent hood below it. Never seen one mounted 30" to bottom above a range either.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You will find most manufactures have similar clearances. Never seen one put above a range that wasn't a combo or have a separate vent hood below it. Never seen one mounted 30" to bottom above a range either.

I'll have to check mine when I get home.

Remember, you might be able to mount the appliance closer than 30", but if it's sitting on or poking through combustible material (a shelf) then the clearance to the combustible material will have to be 30".

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just measured the microwave unit in my house. The bottom is 15" above the range and I seem to have ample room for deep pots and I'm able to stir. My reason for posting this is because the woman I am proposing to do a kitchen remodel for had her microwave mounted 4" below the bottom of the upper cabinet and the bottom of the unit is 14 1/4" above the top of the range. It looks kind of weird seeing a 4" gap between the top of the unit and the bottom of the cabinet. Her reasoning was because she has shoulder problems and can't reach up very high. She just sent me the installation specs for her unit and it states "A minimum of 66" to the top of the unit allowing for a 14"-16" clearance above the range".

All microwave units that I've installed have a rear back plate where the unit clips onto and is then raised up to the bottom of the cabinet where bolts are fed thru the bottom of the cabinet and retain the unit flush to the bottom of the cabinet. I'm not sure how I'm going to mount this one. From what I've seen of the unit she currently has installed whoever mounted this has the power cord running out the top and into the back wall, coming out inside the upper cabinet and then plugged into a receptacle inside. Obviously a Code violation. I'm starting to think I'm a magnet for weird installations.:slaphead:

hillbilly1

Occupation
I'll have to check mine when I get home.

Remember, you might be able to mount the appliance closer than 30", but if it's sitting on or poking through combustible material (a shelf) then the clearance to the combustible material will have to be 30".

Duhhh! That's not what the op was asking, he was asking about the microwave itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.