Mike Holt's Exam Prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-1Sparky

I'm getting ready to take my master's exam for Vermont, and have studied Mike Holt's prep materials and have taken the practice exam. The practice exam allowed you 11 hours total to complete the questions, and I finished everything in under 7 hours. And I scored a 90%. I'm just wondering what other people have experienced as far as the prep materials/practice exam being similar to the actual exam. And has anyone taken the computer-based exam? Was it more difficult (time-consuming) using a computer as opposed to a written exam? Thanks in advance.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'm getting ready to take my master's exam for Vermont, and have studied Mike Holt's prep materials and have taken the practice exam. The practice exam allowed you 11 hours total to complete the questions, and I finished everything in under 7 hours. And I scored a 90%. I'm just wondering what other people have experienced as far as the prep materials/practice exam being similar to the actual exam. And has anyone taken the computer-based exam? Was it more difficult (time-consuming) using a computer as opposed to a written exam? Thanks in advance.

I can't speak for your State's exam nor the testing agency. But I did the same as you, I did the exam prep and set up the practice exam, complete with an alarm clock. I too finished earlier than the time allowed.

As far as the actual test, it goes back to my first sentance. However the test I took was very similar to the practice exam, maybe a little easier. I also finished the test early and had plenty of time to go back over everything before hitting the "finish" button.

MH's test preps are excellent in my opinion. Just have to watch for the errors and check his website for the correction page link.

A-1Sparky

Good point :thumbsup: I was thinking more about having to go back to questions that I initially skip over because I either don't know the answer or I know the question is going to take a lot of time.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Good point :thumbsup: I was thinking more about having to go back to questions that I initially skip over because I either don't know the answer or I know the question is going to take a lot of time.
All of the exams I have taken allow you to "mark" any questions you do not want to answer. When you decide you want to review them you click on an icon and it takes you to a page that has all of your unanswered questions. It is easier than flipping through pages of a paper exam.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
All of the exams I have taken allow you to "mark" any questions you do not want to answer. When you decide you want to review them you click on an icon and it takes you to a page that has all of your unanswered questions. It is easier than flipping through pages of a paper exam.

That's how it was for me as well. I think it was called "the blue button". It flagged any question you wanted to skip or go back and review later.
You could also just go back through all the questions for review without using the "blue" button.

All this of course, before you "ended" the test.:slaphead:

A-1Sparky

Very cool, thank you. That makes me feel a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.