Milbank line side tap kit

cadpoint

I'm reminded that as a technician, I'm only to install UL (something) equipment.

What does UL listed mean:
UL Listed is a tier of UL approval for stand-alone components that have undergone rigorous testing by Underwriter Laboratories. UL Listed means the product: Meets nationally recognized standards for sustainability and safety.

What does UL approved mean:
UL Listed is a tier of UL approval for stand-alone components that have undergone rigorous testing by Underwriter Laboratories. UL Listed means the product: Meets nationally recognized standards for sustainability and safety.

Based on the internet - and gee they read the same to me! No I'm not going to go to UL to check that!

We should be talking as Approved or Listed as the same (and I know their not), and add UL Certified into the conversation.

What is the difference between UL Recognized and listed?
UL Listed certification is designated for complete, self-contained products like external power adapters, while UL Recognized certification is reserved for components and parts that are integrated into a larger system, such as an AC-DC or DC-DC internal power supply.

So your saying that if a panel is UL listed or approved, any additional piece of equipment that might go into their panel is presented as a pass because it's built by that manufacturer for that equipment. And NO your not saying that.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Yes, it throws the burden to local authority/jurisdiction, and a very hard sell on the installer!

At the top of the page
Tap Connector Kit Internal Hex Slide Nut With 14-1/0 Box Connector 300 Volt Maximum 3 Per Kit.
So now it's OK to use rated 300 Volts equipment I'll assume on rated 600 Volt Stuff?

At the bottom of the same page is about the same as you stated in post 5.

I surfed around Milbanks site and their other panel lugs are listed and 600 Volt. I'll assume there's not enough material in the lug
in the OP's post to gain a 600 Volt rating thus not tested.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm reminded that as a technician, I'm only to install UL equipment.

By whose rule?

We should be talking as Approved or Listed as the same (and I know their not), and add UL Certified into the conversation.

Why?

I surfed around Milbanks site and their other panel lugs are listed and 600 Volt. I'll assume there's not enough material in the lug

The amount of material on a uninsulated part wouldn't affect voltage rating. It could affect current rating, not voltage.

cadpoint

Does the NEC require UL listing?

The National Electric Code (NEC) requires that all electrical utilization systems are either listed, labeled, identified or approved as compliant to the requirements of relevant safety standards as developed by a number of standard writing organizations such as Underwriters' Laboratories (UL) and American National ...

Does all electrical equipment need to be UL listed?

In the US, there are a number of third-party labs called Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTLs). UL is the most well-known of the labs, but the others, such as ETL, follow the same safety standards. There is no law in the United States requiring products sold in the US to be certified by UL or another NRTL.Aug 16, 2022

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Interesting discussion thanks for the feedback.
Listing of meter sockets when used as part of service equipment is covered under 230.66(B), there is an exception if they are supplied by the utility.
I would think since the manufacturer is supplying the lugs it would not void the listing of the meterbase but I'll have to check with the AHJ here.
Happy New year.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It requires listing for certain things, not everything. It actually does not stipulate UL.
cadpoint is kind of right but it is only applicable to listing requirements of NC not the NEC.

NC statute 66-25

§ 66‑25.� Acceptable listings as to safety of goods.

All electrical materials, devices, appliances, and equipment shall be evaluated for safety and suitability for intended use.� This evaluation shall be conducted in accordance with nationally recognized standards and shall be conducted by a qualified testing laboratory.� The Commissioner of Insurance, through the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance, shall implement the procedures necessary to approve suitable national standards and to approve suitable qualified testing laboratories.� The Commissioner may assign his authority to implement the procedures for specific materials, devices, appliances, or equipment to other agencies or bodies when they would be uniquely qualified to implement those procedures.

In the event that the Commissioner determines that electrical materials, devices, appliances, or equipment in question cannot be adequately evaluated through the use of approved national standards or by approved qualified testing laboratories, the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall specify any alternative evaluations which safety requires.

The Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall keep in file, where practical, copies of all approved national standards and resumes of approved qualified testing laboratories. (1933, c. 555, s. 3; 1989, c. 681, s. 1.)

kwired

Electron manager
I'm reminded that as a technician, I'm only to install UL (something) equipment.

What does UL listed mean:

What does UL approved mean:

Based on the internet - and gee they read the same to me! No I'm not going to go to UL to check that!

What is the difference between UL Recognized and listed?
UL Listed certification is designated for complete, self-contained products like external power adapters, while UL Recognized certification is reserved for components and parts that are integrated into a larger system, such as an AC-DC or DC-DC internal power supply.

So your saying that if a panel is UL listed or approved, any additional piece of equipment that might go into their panel is presented as a pass because it's built by that manufacturer for that equipment. And NO your not saying that.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Yes, it throws the burden to local authority/jurisdiction, and a very hard sell on the installer!

At the top of the page
Tap Connector Kit Internal Hex Slide Nut With 14-1/0 Box Connector 300 Volt Maximum 3 Per Kit.
So now it's OK to use rated 300 Volts equipment I'll assume on rated 600 Volt Stuff?

At the bottom of the same page is about the same as you stated in post 5.

My first thought when I saw picture of them is that has to put the live edge of that thing kind of close to the enclosure wall in at least some socket assemblies. I wonder if it basically ends up derating an otherwise 600 volt rated unit to only 300 volts because of clearance between this and the enclosure wall?

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
I need help understanding. I thought if a product wasn't listed, it doesn't comply with the NEC.

110.3(C) ".....for equipment installed to comply with this Code."

Am I mistaken?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I need help understanding. I thought if a product wasn't listed, it doesn't comply with the NEC.

110.3(C) ".....for equipment installed to comply with this Code."

Am I mistaken?

But utility companies don't follow the NEC, and that's who would have jurisdiction over the meter

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
But utility companies don't follow the NEC, and that's who would have jurisdiction over the meter
Agreed the applicable code sections are 230.66(B) Exception and 90.2(D)(5)(a) in the 2020 and later or 90.2(B)(5)(a) in the 2017

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
Oh, are these only for meter sockets and not meter main combo panels?

If allowed for meter main combo panels, are you saying the AHJ wouldn't have jurisdiction over the utility side of the panel?