Millwork Recept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

Ok, thanks. Would you need an extension ring as I would imagine you would have the sheetrock and millwork giving you about an 1-1-1/2'

If I understand what you are talking about the answer is no.

You use an old works box. Not as much room as 1900 box and extension ring. But it can mount without having a stud for support. Depending on the amount of room you could use a deep metal old works box and extra length madison bars ( same company that make the template).

The old works box fit into the hole that's cut and is flush with the surface of the millwork. Ears keep it from going in to far and the madison bars keep it from pulling out.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the box is in the Sheetrock wall you can use an adjustable cover to bring it out.

52CADJ.jpg

growler

When you guys install receptacles in furniture/millwork doyou make the cut out/opening? Thanks.

Ok, thanks. Would you need an extension ring as I would imagine you would have the sheetrock and millwork giving you about an 1-1-1/2'

If this is new work and I have mounted a 1900 box with an extension ring then I'm not likely to be there when the carpenters install the millwork. These boxes will have passed the rough inspection before the carpenters/sheetrockers are even allowed to install any wall covering.

Even if I were on the job when the millwork was being installed they had better not ask me to cut out the openings for the boxes .

kwired

Electron manager
Even if I were on the job when the millwork was being installed they had better not ask me to cut out the openings for the boxes .
But if they don't cut it quite large enough will you finish cutting it out or will you make them do it? What if they aren't on the job anymore when you discover this?

For me a wood back in a cabinet or cutout of a laminate backsplash isn't too big of a deal, but non proper fit of granite, marble or something like that - I take each case as it comes and won't necessarily have a standard one answer fits all either, but will lean toward the the other guy is going to be fixing it, as I am not going to be the one buying the granite countertop if I make a mistake in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.