Mob & Demob

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

What doe you consider this to be on a big job? Generally I know it's getting started and finishing such as getting permits, trailers and shanties on/off site. Sure there's some other items but I'm also sure it's subjective. Thanks.

mstrlucky74

How many stories, buildings, it adds up, a good Foreman can mitigate some loss.

New office building 5 floors. Why/how would the foreman mitigate mobilization losses. He's involved in the beginning mobilization process. Doesn't most of the mobilization happen before the actual install starts.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have no idea what "Mob and Demob" even mean. :?

It sounds like organizing and dispersing a riot.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Means get your $#%+ out of there. I’ve done projects that require you to add a certain percentage of your total labor to a composite clean-up crew. Usually a couple of laborers from each trade for a week at the end of the job going room-by-room and then walk the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
5 stories
First mob on grade, lay down area hopefully where it won't need to be moved.
Now steel is up and Qdeck going down where do you mob? 1,2,3,4,5 where do you setup your fab area, gang boxes?, 3rd floor 2nd floor or demob and remob every floor, how much that going to cost.

cdslotz

What doe you consider this to be on a big job? Generally I know it's getting started and finishing such as getting permits, trailers and shanties on/off site. Sure there's some other items but I'm also sure it's subjective. Thanks.

Usually when we turned in our AIA form for progress payments, the first item is "Mobilization" (not including temp power), then all of the other cost breakdowns below.

It is a subjective number, that is negotiable, but you try to get as much up front as possible. It usually ran around 5% without much argument.

In your case that would be around $400k on an $8M job

kwired

Electron manager
I think every project location will have a different set of challenges and you can't say this Mob/demob will be same every time. Even if constructing exact same structure but at a different site, things could be different each site.

One location you may be able to set office, tool, supply trailers right next to the structure being built, other location may not be any space at all nearby that can be used for this, so you have different challenges before you ever get much of a start.

cdslotz

I think every project location will have a different set of challenges and you can't say this Mob/demob will be same every time. Even if constructing exact same structure but at a different site, things could be different each site.

One location you may be able to set office, tool, supply trailers right next to the structure being built, other location may not be any space at all nearby that can be used for this, so you have different challenges before you ever get much of a start.

True, but those costs for different situations should be factored into your direct and indirect job expenses. It's matter of how they are billed.

Once I am under contract, my very first invoice will have "Mobilization" fees

mstrlucky74

Usually when we turned in our AIA form for progress payments, the first item is "Mobilization" (not including temp power), then all of the other cost breakdowns below.

It is a subjective number, that is negotiable, but you try to get as much up front as possible. It usually ran around 5% without much argument.

In your case that would be around $400k on an $8M job

Thanks got it. What costs/task in your mind are part of mob/demob?

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Hopefully you have good backup from the shop and versatile people on the job. If you're running it, you need to mostly be free to still do that. You are often dealing with limited parking, so you may need someone to bring a truckload of equipment/material from the shop and your guys be able to move it in quickly. Same when demobing out. That's a more confusing move, as you still need some materials for those last minute trims and/or changes & add ons. Oops, the wirenuts & long screws got sent out. Where are those light bulbs for the room we're trimming today?

Status
Not open for further replies.