More than one wire under a screw terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleman

Nah....no use to ruin a perfectly good looking factory paint job.

JAP>

I just sand the back and install a star washers behind the screws. Overkill I know but it looks clean.

As for the OP's panel, I would twist them all together, green heat shrink over that and land on one terminal. So now you have 3 wires under the
terminal which might not be rated for 3. So sometimes I crimp a Ferrule on them and land that.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It just looks sloppy to me code issues aside. I would run three #12 or #14 green THHN from the terminal block to the ground bar.

Why not just drop off the EGC's on the ground bar to begin, forget the ground terminal blocks on the dinrail, and save all the extra hassle ?

JAP>

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
I work in control panels almost daily, those DIN rail terminals don't have the same restrictions/listing (one lug one wire) as regular terminals do. The instructions for the ones I work don't say 1 12 AWG or 2 14 AWG, its typically based on total cross sectional area, MM2.
Those look like phoenix terminals, what do the instructions say?
I typically will put two wires in one terminal...

Aleman

You are right, it is typical to see 2 wires on terminal blocks. Usually machines aren't built this way but if designs change, then you get the multiples.
Mostly on the supplies. I like to add spare supply terminals when I build a panel.

Aleman

You are right, it is typical to see 2 wires on terminal blocks. Usually machines aren't built this way but if designs change, then you get the multiples.
Mostly on the supplies. I like to add spare supply terminals when I build a panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.