motion sensing exterior light

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Can anyone point me to a good quality exterior motion sensor that will operate effectively at a mounting hgt of over 12'. I contacted RAB lighting and was told that they only offer 1 model that is designed to work at hgt's over 12 It only has a 110deg field of view. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

rodneee

almost the answer

almost the answer

Can anyone point me to a good quality exterior motion sensor that will operate effectively at a mounting hgt of over 12'. I contacted RAB lighting and was told that they only offer 1 model that is designed to work at hgt's over 12 It only has a 110deg field of view. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

you are looking for a reliable high quality motion sensor... i doubt any electrician or salesman will be able to help you...go to the math dept of your nearest institution of higher learning (or google)...ask a math whizz, WHAT IS THE LIMIT OF 1 OVER "X" AS "X" APPROACHES INFINITY...by coincedence that answer in mathematical terms will also be the answer to your question...

ps i hate that on this forum that simple questions get answered with code book references instead of explaining a point...i vote we no longer allow that...

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
i hate that on this forum that simple questions get answered with code book references instead of explaining a point...i vote we no longer allow that...

I suppose it's a good thing you're not in charge, then. Most of the time all we need is a code reference to answer our question.

renosteinke

It's not such a bad question ....

I've seen high-bay warehouse lighting (where the lighting is 20-25 ft. up) that has motion control for every aisle.

Alas, I have not installed such, so I cannot suggest a source.

WIMaster

i hate that on this forum that simple questions get answered with code book references instead of explaining a point...i vote we no longer allow that...

I checked the forum rules and I believe that if you don't know how to use the NEC or are unwilling to you are in the wrong place.

Sorry but that is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

WIMaster

There are times we need help interpreting an article, but we need to be able to reference them for many reasons.

If one is in this field it is better to know your code to back up many of the misgivings people have about things and the fact that it is the LAW once it is adopted by our state. It is also helpful to know the why of things being in the code also.

We have a local instructor that some people complain about him getting off on tangents, but after MANY years in the trade and being the chief EI for a large city he has great knowledge as to the whys. This comes in very handy when trying to explain things to customers, apprentices and less knowledgeable co-workers that it is not just another stupid code rule.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Can anyone point me to a good quality exterior motion sensor that will operate effectively at a mounting hgt of over 12'.
I have read the previous posts, and am not sure what the problem is. My home has 9 ft ceilings and the floor is 18" above grade; that puts the eaves at about 11-6, the sensor at about 11-0. There are NO issues. Maybe that extra foot or 2 is more significant than I understand, but I'd like to understand why.

These are the "big-blue-big-orange" Zenith units, but not the bottom end ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.