Motor Grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If a motor on the drawing shows a homerun 3#12 & 1#12 ground or 3#8 & 1#10 ground is the ground wire needed. I though the conduit could be used as a ground? THanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If a motor on the drawing shows a homerun 3#12 & 1#12 ground or 3#8 & 1#10 ground is the ground wire needed. I though the conduit could be used as a ground? THanks.
You have to quote and install based on the design even where that design exceeds the minimum requirements of the NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you won't be connecting a solid raceway to the motor and flexibility is usually required then the raceway must contain a wire type EGC.

Rewire

If this is speced then you will need to insall it that way you can always ask for a change but you will probably have to give up money because of the reduction in cost. If you ever worked in an older factory you would not trust conduit as the ground path.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Since you won't be connecting a solid raceway to the motor and flexibility is usually required then the raceway must contain a wire type EGC.
You could just use an equipment bonding jumper around the flex and not have to install an EGC of the wire type in the complete raceway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You could just use an equipment bonding jumper around the flex and not have to install an EGC of the wire type in the complete raceway.

I agree. And EGC in the raceway would be just one of many code compliant methods. A bonding jumper would be another. If FMC is used for flexibility some wire type of EGC/bonding jumper is required. I don't know of a readily available fitting that allows a bonding jumper to be installed around the outside of FMC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree. And EGC in the raceway would be just one of many code compliant methods. A bonding jumper would be another. If FMC is used for flexibility some wire type of EGC/bonding jumper is required. I don't know of a readily available fitting that allows a bonding jumper to be installed around the outside of FMC.
I am not aware of grounding connectors for FMC like they have for LFMC, but you can just use a clamp on the conduit and a connection to the motor with a lug.

As you said there are many ways to accomplish the code required grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.