Multi-Meter Readings and Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckinney3

OK, I am just a hobby guy and am working my way around the proper use of a multi-meter.

I have a new All-Sun EM830 meter.

Question 1: I take a 40 watt (listed on packaging) light bulb intended for 110 use. I set my meter to 200 ohms and measure the resistance. I get a reading of 31.8. I assume this is 31.8 ohms.

Realizing that getting the decimal correct is important and I want to double check the logic of my reading. So I plug the values of 110 volt and 31.8 ohms into an online calculator. The answer is 380.5 watts. Since the label states 40 watts, I seem to be off by a factor of 10 on my ohm reading. The reading should be 318 ohms

I am confused as to how to read the meter to get 318 ohms instead of 31.8

Question 2: I want to measure the amps being used by a 12 volt DC heating pad powered by a 12 volt DC deep cycle battery.
The pad has a controller in the circuit so I can't directly measure resistance and calculate amps. So I figured I would put the meter inline with the pad running and measure amps directly.

Regardless of how I set up the meter range, I do not get any measurement and the insertion of the meter does not complete the circuit so that the pad operates. I tried just simply creating a circuit with a 1.5 volt battery and a 1.5 volt bulb (a simple flashlight) I can use a piece of bell wire to jump from the battery (-) to the bulb (-) to complete the circuit and the bulb lights. If I remove the jumper and insert my meter set to read amps, I get no reading as the circuit is not completed (the bulb does not light) regardless of what amp setting the meter is on.

I can't decide of the meter is bad or if I am using it incorrectly.

dan

jumper

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.