multi-pole breaker used for single wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I see no BS, I see that the CMP at some point in time remembered this part of article 90

Would it have been practical to require insulation colors that were not available at the time the section was written?

Also the people working with 6 and larger are much more often qualified than all those that are working with 8 and smaller. (DIYs I mean)

But now we can get all colors so maybe a code proposal is needed to eliminate remarking all together?
No go. Insulation color has little to do with making a safe system.

If it is okay to re-identify a #12 conductor that is part of a cable assembly, why is it not okay to re-identify a #12 that is trapped in a seal-off?

What does access to gauges of wire by unqualified people, or manufacturer's ideas of what palette of colors they choose to draw from have to do with anything?

iwire

Staff member

If it is okay to re-identify a #12 conductor that is part of a cable assembly, why is it not okay to re-identify a #12 that is trapped in a seal-off?

What does access to gauges of wire by unqualified people, or manufacturer's ideas of what palette of colors they choose to draw from have to do with anything?

You are forgetting 'practical'.

The only truly safe electrical installation is a de-energized one.

kwired

Electron manager
I think you need to read it again, and slower this time. :p

He said he thought #6 and larger. You can't re-identify #6. So the statements aren't the same.

OK, I did slow down, way, way down. Helped that you highlighted what I seemed to be ignoring. I stand corrected.

I promise I will do it again sometime:D

jumper

Yep.

jumper

I see no BS, I see that the CMP at some point in time remembered this part of article 90

Would it have been practical to require insulation colors that were not available at the time the section was written?

Also the people working with 6 and larger are much more often qualified than all those that are working with 8 and smaller. (DIYs I mean)

But now we can get all colors so maybe a code proposal is needed to eliminate remarking all together?

Bob, I am going leave this for now- but you know better than I, trusting colors will get you killed. No?

Thanks for all the input on the marking! slightly different, but I have found on a few occasions were that natural gray and the yellow(b,o,y 480/277) were reversed because the gray fools the installer sometimes, being darker than the yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.