Multiple parallel runs discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok, I mentioned to the guy that I'm working for that there were 5-6 parallel runs from and to the same location and according to NECA MLU the labor could be discounted. He said not tue the guys in the field won't do it any faster and their slow as it is. First I thought it was a little short sighted and unfair second is I believe there are valid reasons as to why pulling these feeders and running these conduits could be discounted . Isn't setup on reason? Thanks

Last edited:

mike7330

Your time savings will come from tool set up, lay out, and hanging the conduit (assuming use of trapeze)
but bending, installing conduit, pulling wire will take the same time

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Your time savings will come from tool set up, lay out, and hanging the conduit (assuming use of trapeze)
but bending, installing conduit, pulling wire will take the same time

If you don't mind could you elaborate to help me understand. I guess you by tool setup everything will be in one place and not have to be moved. I am not sure about savings regarding layout. Can you explain? Thanks

mike7330

If you don't mind could you elaborate to help me understand. I guess you by tool setup everything will be in one place and not have to be moved. I am not sure about savings regarding layout. Can you explain? Thanks
Layout =knowing how the conduit will be installed from point a to point b. What walls / floors need to be drilled / what obstacles are in the way for the conduit run, once figured out for one run, the rest will follow.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
While I agree, that you won't have to move your tools around, I'm not sure how much of a discount that would be.

One guy asked me one time what a job cost and I told him and he then asked what it would cost if he paid me cash? I said the same as it would cost if you wrote me a check, I still have to do the same amount of work.:roll:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
While I agree, that you won't have to move your tools around, I'm not sure how much of a discount that would be.

One guy asked me one time what a job cost and I told him and he then asked what it would cost if he paid me cash? I said the same as it would cost if you wrote me a check, I still have to do the same amount of work.:roll:

I see a labor saving there......I am assuming if you have 20 pipe runs scattered all ove the place as opposed to right next to each other wouldn't you save time having to setup and break down your equipment or whatever would be used? And everything is condensed to one area...no???

cdslotz

Ok, I mentioned to the guy that I'm working for that there were 5-6 parallel runs from and to the same location and according to NECA MLU the labor could be discounted. He said not tue the guys in the field won't do it any faster and their slow as it is. First I thought it was a little short sighted and unfair second is I believe there are valid reasons as to why pulling these feeders and running these conduits could be discounted . Isn't setup on reason? Thanks

Tell your boss his competition disagrees with him.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I see a labor saving there......I am assuming if you have 20 pipe runs scattered all ove the place as opposed to right next to each other wouldn't you save time having to setup and break down your equipment or whatever would be used? And everything is condensed to one area...no???

I don't disagree, but then I did a lot of my work T&M so if it took me less time it cost them less. I'm guessing though that your boss bid this job and the price is the price now.

I've never used a price book, but I'm going to "assume" on this one that the price to run pipe is the same whether it's one run or two runs next to each other and by that I mean, if it's charged by the foot then 100' of pipe costs the same whether it's one 100' run or two 50' runs. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I don't disagree, but then I did a lot of my work T&M so if it took me less time it cost them less. I'm guessing though that your boss bid this job and the price is the price now.

I've never used a price book, but I'm going to "assume" on this one that the price to run pipe is the same whether it's one run or two runs next to each other and by that I mean, if it's charged by the foot then 100' of pipe costs the same whether it's one 100' run or two 50' runs. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

The NECA manual of labor units says to discount the labor for multiple parallel runs such as 3 next to each , 3 , 4 , you discount the labor a certain %

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Huh? It takes less time to do everything. Someone said bending still takes the same amount of time. BS! I measure once I mark all at the same time, I bend one right after the other. ONe hole straps, I find the stud once. I pick up my drill one time, I hammer all anchors in with one set up of the hammer. I screw in one right after the other. etc.

cdslotz

See I told you someone would correct me.;)

That's because he is correct. Every labor unit publication out there does this. The labor units are factored down for multiple parallel runs. Overhead or underground in a trench or ductbank.

You said:
I've never used a price book, but I'm going to "assume" on this one that the price to run pipe is the same whether it's one run or two runs next to each other and by that I mean, if it's charged by the foot then 100' of pipe costs the same whether it's one 100' run or two 50' runs.

What is a "price book"? There is no such thing that I know of. I don't know anyone who has a price to run 4-4" EMT 100'.
There are such assemblies that can be entered by the foot. But when you explode the assembly to it's parts and labor, guess what....the conduit labor units are factored down

Status
Not open for further replies.