My LOTO was cut off today.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
YFirst off OSHA doesn't even require a lock. They require a tag. I

Hold on, not exactly.

If it is not possible to install a lock you are required to do 'tag out' so unless the situation is very odd you could get fined for tag out. There is almost always a way to install a lock out.

As far as commonsense and OSHA put that thought right out of your head. OSHAs mandate is not to make life easy for contractors it is to enforce the rules period.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Hold on, not exactly.

If it is not possible to install a lock you are required to do 'tag out' so unless the situation is very odd you could get fined for tag out. There is almost always a way to install a lock out.

As far as commonsense and OSHA put that thought right out of your head. OSHAs mandate is not to make life easy for contractors it is to enforce the rules period.

Wrong, read the "incorrect" link that was posted by johnnybob. As long as the tagout is as effective. Not advocating just saying. Just like I argue that you don't have to put a ground in a conduit, but I ALWAYS have and always will.

BTW his second link shows you that the same rule doesn't apply to construction as to industrial, I didn't go any further to see if the separate OSHA sections have the same requirements though.

iwire

Staff member
Wrong, read the "incorrect" link that was posted by johnnybob. As long as the tagout is as effective. Not advocating just saying. Just like I argue that you don't have to put a ground in a conduit, but I ALWAYS have and always will.

BTW his second link shows you that the same rule doesn't apply to construction as to industrial, I didn't go any further to see if the separate OSHA sections have the same requirements though.

I am looking into it directly and not through handouts. You may be right, 1910 says tag out only if lock out impossible. Cant really find the rule in 1926.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I am looking into it directly and not through handouts. You may be right, 1910 says tag out only if lock out impossible. Cant really find the rule in 1926.

You are more diligent than me. I work safely, and pray OSHA won't show up because it is one of those things where if they want to find something they will. I am not going to scrutinize the manual to see how they are going to get me.

Status
Not open for further replies.