Neat Romex Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

How can this guy get away with this when I got red-tagged for having two 12 inch pieces of NM nailed to a plywood sheet between a residential breaker panel and two j-boxes mounted right above it (subject to physical abuse)?

Because some parts of the country don't interpret the rules for NM cable as strictly as others. Here in New England, this would be considered a very typical installation (aside from the extreme neatness) as far as the exposure goes. No electrician or inspector around here would worry one bit about having NM cable exposed like this. I sure don't. :cool:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It was the General Cable company, and they started making it at their Rome, NY plant. It's part of Southwire now (I think).

IIRC, that was the introduction of NMS cable (1922) so it could be said that General Cable invented NMS cable. Romex was the name they used for the product, and as 480 says, it was made in Rome, N.Y.

I just saw some cable somewhere that had Rome, N.Y. printed on it. I can't remember if it was new or not....

peter d

IIRC, that was the introduction of NMS cable (1922) so it could be said that General Cable invented NMS cable. Romex was the name they used for the product, and as 480 says, it was made in Rome, N.Y.

I just saw some cable somewhere that had Rome, N.Y. printed on it. I can't remember if it was new or not....

This article is quite a bit dated, but is interesting nonetheless (to a nerd ;) )to see the industry consolidation over the years:

Wire and cable industries

To update it a bit - Southwire has since purchased Essex, General Cable's building wire division and American Insulated Wire.

OregonSE

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_900/OAR_918/918_305.html
Amend Article 334 -- Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM, NMC, and NMS

(a) Amend 334.15(B) by adding the following to the end of the Section: "Exposed nonmetallic sheathed cable shall be protected where it is installed horizontally less than 8 feet above the floor. Exposed nonmetallic sheathed cable less than 8 feet above the floor that enters the top or bottom of a panelboard shall be protected from physical damage by conduit, raceway, 1/2-inch plywood or 1/2-inch drywall."
Give people here a place to hang a saw or an alum ladder and they will hang it. Maybe its our web feet?

You're kidding right? :-? Is this really an issue?

Here in New England we don't have "exposed romex phobia" and I never see people hanging things off of cables the way everyone in other parts of the country think they do. People generally understand that wires are not suitable for hanging stuff. ;)

peter d

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_900/OAR_918/918_305.html
Amend Article 334 -- Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM, NMC, and NMS

(a) Amend 334.15(B) by adding the following to the end of the Section: "Exposed nonmetallic sheathed cable shall be protected where it is installed horizontally less than 8 feet above the floor. Exposed nonmetallic sheathed cable less than 8 feet above the floor that enters the top or bottom of a panelboard shall be protected from physical damage by conduit, raceway, 1/2-inch plywood or 1/2-inch drywall."
Give people here a place to hang a saw or an alum ladder and they will hang it. Maybe its our web feet?

I call that a rule based on extreme paranoia. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.