NEC 250.52 B metal gas piping systems

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
When I inspected a gas line with CSST, and it wasn't bonded, and the test was ok, my report would be, "Gas line test ok, bond CSST per gas code".
I never failed the EC.

One job, the GC, EC and gas installer were arguing over who is responsible for bonding the CSST. I told them my son will do it for $500 cash.
They settled it quickly. 😀

Ron
If utility policy refuses to inspect interior piping or wiring, even when called out for appliance leaks or hazard, building permits with inspectors remain the only Red Tag that can force contractors to abate their own construction defects.

That Red Tag isn't available to home buyers, since nothing avoids this AHJ inspector & Tax Assessors more than real-estate sales.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Yet one of the reasons that CMP 5 did not include the CSST bonding in Article 250 was that the proposers of that requirement could not supply any technical justification that the bonding would solve the problem of energy from nearby lighting strikes punching holes in the CSST. Another reason was that that bonding is a form of lighting protection and not within the scope of the NEC..
Thanks to Don for such code history on CSST bonding.

ANSI Z21.47 has also been cited by HVAC contractors to require raceway bonding for the gas-appliance power supply.

"Line-voltage and safety circuit wiring which is part of the furnace and which is external to the furnace
jacket when all panels are in place shall be protected by metal conduit, metal-clad cable or raceways."

However, the same ANSI standard also describes cord & plugs with proper strain relief.

Strain relief shall be provided for all conductors leaving an enclosure. For low-voltage wiring, strain relief at
the point of exit from an enclosure is not necessary if, by wire location or support, protection is provided
against accidental strain. If the furnace is supplied with an external power supply cord handling greater
than 50 Volts then a pull test shall be conducted.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
There was a time when MA banned CSST for a while due to the lighting issue. Then they let them back in when the newer CSST was approved for bonding.

Common practice around here is to not bond the gas piping except for the bond provided by the gas equipment EGC.

Even a gas water heater with no electrical power to it will bond the gas line as the water heater has a cold water pipe to it. Of course if plastic is used on the water lines the the gas line should be bonded. if the only appliance is a gas water heater or other gas appliance with no electrical power to it like a fireplace or gas grill

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I guess I can spoon feed this.

While in theory this is true I cant recall seeing a compliant install lately involving a dryer . Some cant even use a cord connector let alone wire them right. Found an electric water heater 2 days ago not grounded, had a green and a white, both taped off but hooked in the panel. Secondly,,, cant see where I said it was a code requirement other than the language that it be grounded for the largest circuit that would potentially energize it. While it is connected by a 15A circuit to the furnace with a 15 wire there are 30 other 20A circuits in the place.
Lets say we have copper water pipe in a house with 20 and 30 circuits but the feed is plastic so it doesnt have a 4 running to it,,, what wire is required to bond it? Would be upsizing this connection be some kind of violation?
Can you clarify what feed is plastic?
And what is have a 4 running to it?