NEC checklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

I’m speechless!

Is that all it took?

Great. :D

Dude, I am a 5th level electrical Ninja, I can see inside the walls. :D

Kidding aside under what scenario do you see me running around energizing circuits I had nothing to do with?:huh:

Under the odd chance I was sent to complete a job started by another contractor that could change things, it does not take long on a job site to get a good read on the level of professionalism of the previous workers and if looked like crap I very well might do some testing. Not to satisfy 110.7 but to satisfy myself I am not leaving a potential hazard.

I’m speechless because of double standards.

You won’t test to protect the client and their property but you will test to protect yourself and your reputation.

An interesting concept if I may say so.

The UK is catching up with the US in the litigation race so insurance cover is a good safety net.

I’ve always been employed by multi-nationals as an electrical engineer but I ran a separate business that set off as a hobby in a totally different field, photography.
To get insurance I had to be qualified in yet another trade.
20+ years back I had £0.75m ($1.2m) public liability and £2m ($3.1m) professional indemnity. (With inflation £1.3m ($2.1m) and £3.5m ($5.5m)).

What level of insurance cover does a “5th level electrical Ninja” require to trade? Please don’t tell me you don’t have cover.

iwire

Staff member
I’m speechless because of double standards.

You won’t test to protect the client and their property but you will test to protect yourself and your reputation.

An interesting concept if I may say so.

A total fabrication in your own mind.

I clearly said I would test to prevent leaving a hazardous condition. This is not for my protection it would be for the protection of others

You really are shooting yourself in the foot when you try to twist things like that.

The UK is catching up with the US in the litigation race so insurance cover is a good safety net

You are like talking to a wall, electricians here are not getting sued for not doing tests that are not required. :happyno:

If customers request or desire testing we can and will do it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If customers request or desire testing we can and will do it.

We only do what is required for us to believe we wired it right and the stuff more or less works.

There are all kinds of additional tests that some customers are willing to pay for, but most don't want to pay for them so we don't do them.

growler

You're not suggesting we start megging residential circuits, are you? :happyno:

It does the same thing as an AFCI. That should have been one option available to us.

Megging cables does not do what an AFCI is "supposed" to do.

Megging cables would give some indication of the insulation condition of the building wiring. An AFCI is supposed to detect an arc in an appliance cord or extension cord ( this could not be checked by megging, not available at time of test).

I can meg a cable today and a homeowner can drive a nail through that cable tomorrow. Megging cables will tell you the condition of insulation at a given time but the reading can change even due to the amount moisture in the air.

No one has come up with a good reason to meg cables in residential wiring other the fact they do it in the UK. One reason may be that they use a different type of insulation that's more susceptible to damage.

We run our cables in residential so they are not likely to be damaged and so far this seems to be working. If you want cable megging then show there is a need for it and the expected results.

Status
Not open for further replies.