NEC PDF version

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebea

They do give you the option of $15 a month which is a bit more palatable for me. And I have found it well worth it so far. :D

I ponied up and paid for the one year subscription at $130. It hurt for alittle bit but the sting is going away and I'm back to sitting on furniture. Seriously, I love necplus and will renew. :happyyes:

I ponied up and paid for the one year subscription at $130. It hurt for alittle bit but the sting is going away and I'm back to sitting on furniture. Seriously, I love necplus and will renew. :happyyes:

Absolutely agreed Stevebea. There are many times especially as a newbie that the NECPlus really clarifies things for me. The images and the NFPA staff commentary really bring out some of those less understandable points in the NEC. But there is also the rare occasion that even those make me scratch my head:slaphead:. I especially like the fact that it automatically links to UL listings and highlights the changes made to the code.

So, after 1 yr., what do you have for your investment? I paid $75 for a soft bound 2011 NEC and PDF that I get to keep.

Well, jumpa' I prefer having the NEC with me at all times via internet access. Don't have to fumble around. If I have a question, pull out the ole' smart phone, bring up NECPlus, type in a few key words into the search bar and up pops all the references that include my search parameters. I then can look at every code that makes reference to the topic of concern and go from there. And if still stumped I just post a question on this wonderful forum and await the input :cool:.

But in the end it really is what works for you. You like saving a bit of money and carrying the paper copy around, I prefer the technological aspect. Six of one half dozen of another. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well, jumpa' I prefer having the NEC with me at all times via internet access. Don't have to fumble around. If I have a question, pull out the ole' smart phone, bring up NECPlus, type in a few key words into the search bar and up pops all the references that include my search parameters. I then can look at every code that makes reference to the topic of concern and go from there. And if still stumped I just post a question on this wonderful forum and await the input :cool:.

But in the end it really is what works for you. You like saving a bit of money and carrying the paper copy around, I prefer the technological aspect. Six of one half dozen of another. :D

Can't you just put the pdf version on your phone?

jumper

Sounds good.:thumbsup:

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
This whole thing is such a scam. I used to know a site that used to put PDFs up of the code once the states started adapting them but they haven't updated themselves in a while.

kwired

Electron manager
I have a registered 2011 pdf. and not one piece of mail. Different experiences I suppose.

Who says he gave them his actual address when he registered? He probably did have to give them a valid email address, did not have to be one he primarily uses.

Does anyone know why they stopped the CD Folio version?
Folio was the best.
My guess is to help minimize illegal copies. The NEC plus you can use anytime from any computer with internet access if you have a username and password.

Thanks for the replies,

DelightedInYahweh: I followed the link you provided and it looks like its $130 for the year to access? just want to make sure im not missing anything.

Looking on Amazon they have the NEC 2011 but it says (International Electric Code) do they all say that I dont recall if my 2008 copy does, its not with me right now to check.
Just want to make sure im buying the correct one. A searchable pdf, would be great but does not seem like a sure way to get one based on the comments.

thanks

Check to see if it is NFPA 70. If any other number it is not the NEC.

So, after 1 yr., what do you have for your investment? I paid $75 for a soft bound 2011 NEC and PDF that I get to keep.
With NEC plus you get 2002 thru 2011 versions of NEC, you have option to show or hide commentary that appears in the handbook, you have links to UL white pages and other similar links at times that may apply to the section you are viewing. You also have 2000 thru 2012 vesions of 70E. There is access to summary of changes in latest editions of NEC as well as 70E. There are links to ROP's and ROC's and other code making panel documents at the sections where they apply.

I wish it operated a little more like the Folio Views did but hopefully they will make some improvements in time. Since it is web based it is not going to ever be quite the same I imagine. Biggest drawback is no internet access - no NEC.

There is a demo version you can use - been a while ago but I think it works for 2 days - try it out before purchasing - but make sure you will have some time to use it in a 2 day period or you may not get much from it.

http://www.necplus.org/Pages/Default.aspx?sso=0 go to link on left of page about halfway down to see the demo.

I also recieved (and was not expecting) a softbound copy free of charge a few weeks after subscribing. I don't know if that was a promotional thing or if that is normal but I now have a second softbound copy that cost me nothing extra.

PDF version is alright but this is easier to navigate. If there is a reference to another section in what you are reading the reference is a link you can click on to go to the associated section just like it was in Folio views, you can search by simply entering the text you are searching for.

jumper

With NEC plus you get 2002 thru 2011 versions of NEC, you have option to show or hide commentary that appears in the handbook, you have links to UL white pages and other similar links at times that may apply to the section you are viewing. You also have 2000 thru 2012 vesions of 70E. There is access to summary of changes in latest editions of NEC as well as 70E. There are links to ROP's and ROC's and other code making panel documents at the sections where they apply.

I wish it operated a little more like the Folio Views did but hopefully they will make some improvements in time. Since it is web based it is not going to ever be quite the same I imagine. Biggest drawback is no internet access - no NEC.

There is a demo version you can use - been a while ago but I think it works for 2 days - try it out before purchasing - but make sure you will have some time to use it in a 2 day period or you may not get much from it.

http://www.necplus.org/Pages/Default.aspx?sso=0 go to link on left of page about halfway down to see the demo.

I also recieved (and was not expecting) a softbound copy free of charge a few weeks after subscribing. I don't know if that was a promotional thing or if that is normal but I now have a second softbound copy that cost me nothing extra.

PDF version is alright but this is easier to navigate. If there is a reference to another section in what you are reading the reference is a link you can click on to go to the associated section just like it was in Folio views, you can search by simply entering the text you are searching for.

I will try it. If I get a copy of the book, I would consider doing it, but I always gotta have a physical copy for emergencies. If the net is down, I still gotta work.

Stevareno

Be warned, if you give NPFA your street address you will get reams of junk mail. For this reason I actually wish I hadn't acquired the PDF.
Yep, that happened to me. It's really annoying, but you can annoy them back. They always come with a postage free return envelope. :D
I started using them.
First time I wrote "Save a tree, stop sending me stuff. Thanks." on the application and sent it in.
The second said "Please stop sending me this CRAP! Thanks."
I just sent another one the other day. All it had inside was a sale ad for a grocery store. :p
We'll see if they actually stop. :roll:

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Yep, that happened to me. It's really annoying, but you can annoy them back. They always come with a postage free return envelope. :D
I started using them.
First time I wrote "Save a tree, stop sending me stuff. Thanks." on the application and sent it in.
The second said "Please stop sending me this CRAP! Thanks."
I just sent another one the other day. All it had inside was a sale ad for a grocery store. :p
We'll see if they actually stop. :roll:

I remember a comedian once talking about all the trash that comes with some of the bills you recieve in the mail. Their solution was to send trash back to the sender in their reply envelopes and a note asking if they could throw it away for him. Maybe if we returned all those prepaid envelopes it would help keep the Postal service in business.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.