Need help, Aluminum versus Copper Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeder neutrals only need sized per the load they will carry, but in no case can be smaller than the required EGC for that circuit. So 600 amp OCPD means 1 AWG copper or 2/0 AWG aluminum is absolute minimum neutral you can run with that feeder. I have done this before. Did this for a 600 amp feeder supplying a panelboard that served several three phase HVAC units. In addition to those units there was a 15 amp circuit supplying lighting in the vicinity, a 20 amp circuit supplying a 5-15 receptacle for servicing the units and two other 15 amp 120 volt pieces of equipment in that area. Total neutral load probably less than 30 amps - still had to run 1/0 aluminum

I did recently too. Existing 200A 3 wire feeder in 2"EMT.
Pulled in a #6 neutral and a #6 EGC. Couldnt get a snake thru, had to pull apart the pipe at a 90 near the middle to make an intermediate point, went fine from there. Rooftop panel serving a bunch of RTU's, just needed neuter for my service receps and maybe a few outside lights.

stang623

Wow...kwired killed it, thanks for answering all of my questions thoroughly, great information so I won't sound like a dummy.

Three 400 MCM wires and two 1/0 Wires puts me at a 37.14% fill on the conduit which would be great.

This may be a dumb question but would there need to be any type of overcurrent protection device on this neutral feeder because it is a different size than the other feeders?

kwired

Electron manager
Wow...kwired killed it, thanks for answering all of my questions thoroughly, great information so I won't sound like a dummy.

Three 400 MCM wires and two 1/0 Wires puts me at a 37.14% fill on the conduit which would be great.

This may be a dumb question but would there need to be any type of overcurrent protection device on this neutral feeder because it is a different size than the other feeders?
You never put overcurrent protection in a grounded conductor unless it opens all conductors of the circuit simultaneously. Place you may see that is with corner grounded delta systems.

Sahib

Putting in place neutral over current protection along with all other phase conductors is good because any stray POCO ground fault current flowing back to source could flow back through your neutral and if it is not protected, it could be damaged along with other cables in contact with it.

Putting in place neutral over current protection along with all other phase conductors is good because any stray POCO ground fault current flowing back to source could flow back through your neutral and if it is not protected, it could be damaged along with other cables in contact with it.

FYI putting an OCPD in the neutral is extremely rare here in the states. In 20 years in the field, I cant recall seeing it done even once. I would conjecture that the benefit you propose is statistically insignificant.

Sahib

FYI putting an OCPD in the neutral is extremely rare here in the states. In 20 years in the field, I cant recall seeing it done even once. I would conjecture that the benefit you propose is statistically insignificant.

I think you people in the states do relatively flawless electrial works.:). Here in India neutral ground fault is common and in one such case, the POCO return ground fault current damaged unprotected neutral conductor due to presence of neutral ground fault in a building.

kwired

Electron manager
I think you people in the states do relatively flawless electrial works.:). Here in India neutral ground fault is common and in one such case, the POCO return ground fault current damaged unprotected neutral conductor due to presence of neutral ground fault in a building.
In a MGN distribution system there kind of is no such thing as a neutral ground fault. You do get stray currents sometimes from outside your premises on the grounded conductor though, they are typically low enough current that OCPD's wouldn't respond if there were OCPD's.

MAC702

Dumb question: Wouldn't a neutral OCPD also need to disconnect the hots? Else you'd have a broken neutral and those problems. But I guess where large neutral backfeeds are an issue, you just deal with that?

kwired

Electron manager
Dumb question: Wouldn't a neutral OCPD also need to disconnect the hots? Else you'd have a broken neutral and those problems. But I guess where large neutral backfeeds are an issue, you just deal with that?
It would for anything that NEC is applied to. I don't know what he is experiencing or how systems are different than they are here, but we only see severe neutral currents from outside a structure in some rather extreme and unlikely incidents here in the US. Current on a water pipe bonded to more than one structure is what is a common thing, but is typically only considered a problem when someone opens the current path for the most part.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
In a MGN distribution system there kind of is no such thing as a neutral ground fault. You do get stray currents sometimes from outside your premises on the grounded conductor though, they are typically low enough current that OCPD's wouldn't respond if there were OCPD's.

Article 240.22 specifically states: Providing a disconnect on the grounded conductor is a mandate--

where the overcurrent device opens all conductors of the circuit, including the grounded conductor, and is so designed that no pole can operate independently.

So, you are negating your statement on your post #24.

Whether a stray current in the fraction of an amp-- that could possibly flow through the MGN (multi-grounded- neutral) or MEN (multiple- earthed- neutral) in universal jargon. . . is irrelevant.

No one can know at any given moment-- the amount of stray current that can accidentally pass though between a grounded neutral and any hot conductor.

It is not for you to predict the amount of “low current” that would pass through-- that can possibly have an adverse effect, and, therefore justify the notion that would necessitate the exclusion of a disconnecting means.

Don't get caught up with ideas that may sound believable simply because you've heard them from the horse's mouth.

kwired

Electron manager
Article 240.22 specifically states: Providing a disconnect on the grounded conductor is a mandate--

where the overcurrent device opens all conductors of the circuit, including the grounded conductor, and is so designed that no pole can operate independently.

So, you are negating your statement on your post #24.

Whether a stray current in the fraction of an amp-- that could possibly flow through the MGN (multi-grounded- neutral) or MEN (multiple- earthed- neutral) in universal jargon. . . is irrelevant.

No one can know at any given moment-- the amount of stray current that can accidentally pass though between a grounded neutral and any hot conductor.

It is not for you to predict the amount of “low current” that would pass through-- that can possibly have an adverse effect, and, therefore justify the notion that would necessitate the exclusion of a disconnecting means.

Don't get caught up with ideas that may sound believable simply because you've heard them from the horse's mouth.
what am I negating from what I said in post 24? Requirement to simultaneously open all conductors is basis for what I said in post 24.

My later mentioning of MGN systems had nothing to do with overcurrent protection and everything to do with there essentially being no such thing as "ground faults" on the neutral of a MGN system. Undesired current paths might occur, but are not typically going to be at a level that causes overcurrent devices to operate either.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
what am I negating from what I said in post 24? Requirement to simultaneously open all conductors is basis for what I said in post 24.

My later mentioning of MGN systems had nothing to do with overcurrent protection and everything to do with there essentially being no such thing as "ground faults" on the neutral of a MGN system. Undesired current paths might occur, but are not typically going to be at a level that causes overcurrent devices to operate either.

Whether the overcurrent will operate at any magnitude of fault is out of the question. It's whether it is required or not

I concur with our friend from India. It may not be a familiar installation practice in the US.
A lot of those who participate in these industry have spent decades doing the same thing over and over losing their wide perspective.

They can no longer see the forest from the trees.

They do find a feeling of relief that 40 years of doing the same thing earns them their bragging rights. . . I don't see anything wrong with it.

If that's what make them happy I'm all for it.
Gives me a feeling of beatitude from seeing a bunch of happy people. :)

Whether the overcurrent will operate at any magnitude of fault is out of the question. It's whether it is required or not

I concur with our friend from India. It may not be a familiar installation practice in the US.
A lot of those who participate in these industry have spent decades doing the same thing over and over losing their wide perspective.

They can no longer see the forest from the trees.

They do find a feeling of relief that 40 years of doing the same thing earns them their bragging rights. . . I don't see anything wrong with it.

If that's what make them happy I'm all for it.
Gives me a feeling of beatitude from seeing a bunch of happy people. :)

I am having a little trouble understanding your post - what you are saying. If you mean whats in red in regards to putting an OCPD in the neutral conductor, I also dont see anything wrong with it, I just dont think it is necessary.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Interesting thread. Al is getting the thumbs up it would seem. Here in UK, I don't recall ever having used it nor in the other countries I've been to except on high current rectifiers (10kA plus) for the buss bars.

I don't know why. Metal prices are in a global market. You'd think there would be a cost saving for us that would have encouraged us to use Al.

Different applications maybe?. Much of what we did was industrial VSD panels. Controls were wired in multi-stranded 1.5mm^2 and run in trunking. Power was also in multi-stranded copper up to about 150mm^2, paralleled if need be. Above that, we used copper bars.

Another factor is that we were dealing with relatively high cost units. I used to factor in 5% for hardware including cable, in my quotes.

Sorry mods - took it a bit off the original thread.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Same here.
I am having a little trouble understanding your post - what you are saying. If you mean whats in red in regards to putting an OCPD in the neutral conductor, I also dont see anything wrong with it, I just dont think it is necessary.
……….

Slip-ups often lead to grave misapprehension. Blaring mistakes -- when often exhibited is contagious. It saps all rational exchange of ideas that might otherwise be a source of wisdom.

The antecedent of the phrase: “I don't see anything wrong with it” is the other phrase before it. . . hence ante meaning before:

They do find a feeling of relief that 40 years. . . .” [this is the antecedent]

As an example that demonstrate this part of speech -- gives a meaning to a pronoun that refers back to the subject.

Bob arrived late because the rain held him up. The pronoun him refers to and takes its meaning from Bob.

The phrase in question: “I don't see anything wrong with it” refers to the 40 years of experience that was gained, and therefore earned him the credit that enables him to brag about it.

For those who possess some grounding in linguistics-- this is called anaphora. The expression whose interpretation depends on another phrase that is usually the word or phrase before it.

You are flummoxed which prompted you to ask a legit question which therefore deserved an answer.

To be honest, I really hate to sound like a ridiculous pedagogue. . . but sometimes the need arise. :(

Now, if we go back to the crux of the issue-- whether or not having a disconnect is necessary. . . I don't think it is in your position or anyone else to make that decision. NEC has it spelled out that it is allowed.

You can have your opinion and certainly you are entitled to it.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Interesting thread. Al is getting the thumbs up it would seem. Here in UK, I don't recall ever having used it nor in the other countries I've been to except on high current rectifiers (10kA plus) for the buss bars.

I don't know why. Metal prices are in a global market. You'd think there would be a cost saving for us that would have encouraged us to use Al.

Different applications maybe?. Much of what we did was industrial VSD panels. Controls were wired in multi-stranded 1.5mm^2 and run in trunking. Power was also in multi-stranded copper up to about 150mm^2, paralleled if need be. Above that, we used copper bars.

Another factor is that we were dealing with relatively high cost units. I used to factor in 5% for hardware including cable, in my quotes.

Sorry mods - took it a bit off the original thread.

Aluminum conductors [ACSR] have been used for over a hundred years. It was first introduced in California around 1890. It has been improved over the years using different alloys depending on the environment.
A lot of those wires are for overhead transmission and distribution lines. Some of them shown below are for direct burial or in conduits.

https://en.m.wikipedia .org/wiki/Aluminum-conductor_steel
or
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire Southwire-250-ft-4-0

My house is fed with a 4/0 direct burial ACSR (aluminum conductor steel reinforced) and it's been there for over thirty years and it hasn't missed a beat. I was there when POCO laid those wires in trenches. The wires were buried in trenches between 8 to ten feet deep.

No aluminum conductor is allowed inside any structure.

My house was a semi custom-built. . . I instructed the electrician how I wanted it wired.

……….

Slip-ups often lead to grave misapprehension. Blaring mistakes -- when often exhibited is contagious. It saps all rational exchange of ideas that might otherwise be a source of wisdom.

The antecedent of the phrase: “I don't see anything wrong with it” is the other phrase before it. . . hence ante meaning before:

They do find a feeling of relief that 40 years. . . .” [this is the antecedent]

As an example that demonstrate this part of speech -- gives a meaning to a pronoun that refers back to the subject.

Bob arrived late because the rain held him up. The pronoun him refers to and takes its meaning from Bob.

The phrase in question: “I don't see anything wrong with it” refers to the 40 years of experience that was gained, and therefore earned him the credit that enables him to brag about it.

For those who possess some grounding in linguistics-- this is called anaphora. The expression whose interpretation depends on another phrase that is usually the word or phrase before it.

You are flummoxed which prompted you to ask a legit question which therefore deserved an answer.

To be honest, I really hate to sound like a ridiculous pedagogue. . . but sometimes the need arise. :(

Now, if we go back to the crux of the issue-- whether or not having a disconnect is necessary. . . I don't think it is in your position or anyone else to make that decision. NEC has it spelled out that it is allowed.

You can have your opinion and certainly you are entitled to it.

Whatever dude. I have no idea what your problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.