Need help, Aluminum versus Copper Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahib

In a MGN distribution system there kind of is no such thing as a neutral ground fault. You do get stray currents sometimes from outside your premises on the grounded conductor though, they are typically low enough current that OCPD's wouldn't respond if there were OCPD's.
A MGN beyond GEC in a building is a code violation.......a fault....... a neutral to ground fault. :)

kwired

Electron manager
I am having a little trouble understanding your post - what you are saying. If you mean whats in red in regards to putting an OCPD in the neutral conductor, I also dont see anything wrong with it, I just dont think it is necessary.
……….

Slip-ups often lead to grave misapprehension. Blaring mistakes -- when often exhibited is contagious. It saps all rational exchange of ideas that might otherwise be a source of wisdom.

The antecedent of the phrase: “I don't see anything wrong with it” is the other phrase before it. . . hence ante meaning before:

They do find a feeling of relief that 40 years. . . .” [this is the antecedent]

As an example that demonstrate this part of speech -- gives a meaning to a pronoun that refers back to the subject.

Bob arrived late because the rain held him up. The pronoun him refers to and takes its meaning from Bob.

The phrase in question: “I don't see anything wrong with it” refers to the 40 years of experience that was gained, and therefore earned him the credit that enables him to brag about it.

For those who possess some grounding in linguistics-- this is called anaphora. The expression whose interpretation depends on another phrase that is usually the word or phrase before it.

You are flummoxed which prompted you to ask a legit question which therefore deserved an answer.

To be honest, I really hate to sound like a ridiculous pedagogue. . . but sometimes the need arise. :(

Now, if we go back to the crux of the issue-- whether or not having a disconnect is necessary. . . I don't think it is in your position or anyone else to make that decision. NEC has it spelled out that it is allowed.

You can have your opinion and certainly you are entitled to it.
I never said it shouldn't be allowed, just that I don't believe it is necessary most cases. Because it also is not required - you have a choice. Design decisions are a factor in why you would or would not do this.

A MGN beyond GEC in a building is a code violation.......a fault....... a neutral to ground fault. :)
I don't disagree, and we can and do sometimes have protection against this via GFCI's, but usually only at select locations and not as general protection on a feeder or the entire service.

I also understood you to be talking about overcurrent protection from neutral current in premises wiring that originated from something outside the premises. That is something that is pretty rare and we don't normally make any provisions to protect from that sort of thing. If I understood that wrong, I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.