Neutral and hot jumpers for duplex outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducati Bob

When a circuit is going through an outlet box to another does any code require jumpers for the neutral and hot wires or can one be landed on each of the neutral and hot screws? I ask because in my experience it has been a common practice for every electrician I know to use jumpers for a variety of safety reasons. Recently when I told an electrician it was required I got challenged to find it in the NEC and could not. Is it required or just a smart thing to do?

Thanks for the help.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I will need to do a search to give you the Code reference, but you are required to use a connector & pigtail on the grounded (neutral) conductor at connections on a Multi-wire branch circuit (shared neutral)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is this required after the mulitconductor circuit is separated in two paths and continue as a 2 wire circuit from device to device ?
Since that part of the circuit is no longer an MWBC (or is both an MWBC and a single branch circuit?) the rule should not apply there.

Note also that a "jumper" between the two wires, particularly from screw to screw of the device, is not acceptable either, if disconnecting the upstream neutral wire from the device will still interrupt the neutral path downstream. As augie noted, you have to connect the wires together and then pigtail to the device terminal(s).

mwm1752

While I agree with you both, note that the branch circuit extends fully to the wiring path to end of line, and yet the final OCPD defines the branch circuit as multiwire.

Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).
Branch Circuit, Multiwire. A branch circuit that consists of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage between them, and a grounded conductor that has equal voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor of the system.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
While I agree with all of you, OP wasn't asking about multi-wire branch circuits. He's simply asking if you can use the receptacle as a feedthrough for the circuit, or if you have to wirenut the two hots and the two neutrals and pigtail to the receptacle.

It is not code to pigtail, and it's not necessary, but if you want to do it, knock your socks off. If you have three hots and three neutrals, it's a good idea, but still not necessary as there are 4 terminals (2 screw and 2 spring-loaded) for the hot and 4 terminals for the neutral. Or, of course, some of the better quality receptacles actually take two conductors per screw terminal.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The free receptacle/USB charger combo that I got a free sample of is one example. The screws have pressure plates under the screw head with a slot in the body on either side of the screw, each of which can take a separate wire.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)

iwire

Staff member
While I agree with you both, note that the branch circuit extends fully to the wiring path to end of line, and yet the final OCPD defines the branch circuit as multiwire.

Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).
Branch Circuit, Multiwire. A branch circuit that consists of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage between them, and a grounded conductor that has equal voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor of the system.

Once the MWBC splits out it no longer fits the defintion you posted.

kwired

Electron manager

Once the MWBC splits out it no longer fits the defintion you posted.
I'm not so certain. If the Branch Circuit, Multiwire would use the words " a portion of a branch circuit..." or something similar I might agree with you otherwise the entire circuit could still be covered.

It has been a long time but I recall this debate here before with no general consensus either way on interpretation.

The risk that is of concern is definitely minimized once you split into two different directions with your ungrounded conductors.

iwire

Staff member
There is nothing to argue about.

Once you are down to a 12/2 cable for instance there is only one ungrounded conductor making it outside the definition of a MWBC.

If you feel the need to look for a problem where there is none I wish you well.

pigtailing feed through receptacles

pigtailing feed through receptacles

While not required it is a "best practice" to pigtail any recpt that passes the circuit downstream. The reason is there is no limit in non commercial apps to the number of recpt allowed on a circuit. So the first device from the homerun carries ALL the current on the entire circuit. I have found many charred duplexs in that situation. Also if you back wire it is worse. The tension clips are a poor substitute for a hard wired torqued connection. It won't usually bother under the implied warranty period so most people don't worry about it. It runs along the same vein as using one 20a circuit for 4 bathrooms. Never liked that loophole either.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... Also if you back wire it is worse. The tension clips are a poor substitute for a hard wired torqued connection. ....
Interesting.

The backwired connections I am looking at/using are screwed clamp connections. I saw the post about the receptacles with the hot having two clamped connections and two stab connections. I've never seen one. And I quit using stab-ins after I saw several lose tension on the plug prongs after a few years. I definitely agree with, "tension clips are a poor substitute for a hard wired torqued connection:

But I don't compare my experience with any of the electricians. You guys and girls are the ones with a righeous opinion. I hung my tool belt up 30 years ago and went full time DIY.:roll: I don't consider my opinion in the same league as all y'all's

Edit to add:
And yes, I pigtail (unless I can't) And I don't use mwbc. But, I also don't have to wire a spec house for spec money. Which is lucky for me, I'd starve to death before I finished the first house. I'm way too slow.:ashamed1:

ice

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
There is nothing to argue about.

Once you are down to a 12/2 cable for instance there is only one ungrounded conductor making it outside the definition of a MWBC.

If you feel the need to look for a problem where there is none I wish you well.
I don't claim it to be non practical to not pigtail beyond the "shared" portion of the neutral conductor - there is just some room in definitions to interpret a MWBC to be the "entire" circuit not just the portion that is sharing the neutral. FYI I do not generally pigtail the neutrals myself in the non shared neutral portions of MWBC's.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
So the first device from the homerun carries ALL the current on the entire circuit.
Yes, but "all the current" should be limited by circuit breaker no matter how many downstream receptacles run thru 1st receptacle. So a 15 amp duplex with 20 amp feedthrough should carry all the current that the 20 amp breaker will allow?

I don't backstab any more, but don't remember having problems with screw lugs, except some that seemed to be obviously due to sloppy wire loops or loose screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.