New build homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

packersbay

Occupation
Electrician
Good afternoon I have a question, I am currently trying to get contracts with builders to do electrical for new build homes in my area. I haven’t really done any new builds for builders and am trying to figure a cost or price. What would be price per sq ft for new build homes.

farmantenna

Maybe I'm ignorant but what changes when there are multiple builds?
Also, I don't understand why electricians like yourself are asking us how to price for wiring a house that you will be wiring. Only you know your wiring proficiency . my pricing is for me and might not work for you. I hear about prices that are shockingly high and scary low .

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Trying to figure out best way to price for multiple new builds

I don’t do tract homes, but I do custom homes, and i price per-device and fixture. That’s the most fair way in my opinion. You need to come up with an assembly price for each device, fixture, appliance, and service. There should obviously be minimums there for overhead and mobilization.

My neighbor is doing a lot of tract homes (southeast USA) and they’re in the $4/ft range under-roof. His clear profit on every house is well under $1k, but they’re doing probably 300-400 houses a year right now. I know guys charging the same thing to do 50 houses a year and it ain’t worth it for that kind of money. You can go be an employee somewhere and make more than that.

If you could get the financial backing to hit the ground running and knock out 150 houses a year than I’d say go for it.

When I first started out trying to wire houses on my own (mid 2000’s) I was at $3.25/ft which was the standard rate here at the time and I made $500 a house. I had no idea what I was getting into. I just got a license and thought I would make a living. It didn’t take long to realize without any sort of scale I would starve to death in residential.

Edit to add… I will say I think i was generally happy doing residential. I enjoyed it a lot, and it was far less stressful other than the fact I wasn’t really making good money. The EC I apprenticed for had spent most of his earlier years in the union doing huge construction projects (high rises, nuclear, industrial, etc…), and told me he was much happier in residential. He had about 30 employees and turned over 100 houses a year. By the time he retired we were doing about 40 houses a year and it was a great experience. He told me it wasn’t worth the stress trying to be too big. I think about that a lot, and now most days I just want to quit and work on my farm full time. Anyway. I don’t want to deter you from what you want to do. But I didn’t grasp exactly what I needed to be doing at the start and just wanted to share my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
And also add that there is no shortage of opportunity right now. The work is out there for you to operate at scale. You’ve got to navigate your way to growth though and realize there will be many plateaus on the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I would like to recommend the highest award for contractors. They are the backbone of our country; without them nothing would be built.
You put everything you own on the line !

packersbay

Occupation
Electrician
Maybe I'm ignorant but what changes when there are multiple builds?
Also, I don't understand why electricians like yourself are asking us how to price for wiring a house that you will be wiring. Only you know your wiring proficiency . my pricing is for me and might not work for you. I hear about prices that are shockingly high and scary low .
Just trying to get an idea of what cost per sq ft would be good. Not saying I would go with what you price. Just wanted an idea of average range people are using these days

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Happens that a friend in my town shared his prices with me (custom houses)

service entrance $ 12 per amp
finished space $4.50 per foot
unfinished space $3 per foot
can lites $24 ea

I figure $10 per sq foot, since I haven't got any houses to wire at that price, I assume is accurate

AC\DC

Occupation
EC

can lites $24 ea

I figure $10 per sq foot, since I haven't got any houses to wire at that price, I assume is accurate
WOW that is cheap as can be

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician

can lites $24 ea

Insert Napoleon Dynamite quote. "That's like a dollar an hour"

Maybe OK if no afci in the jurisdiction or they're an extra not in the price list.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

can lites $24 ea

He could get a job at minimum wage and come out as good as that!

Does he furnish the cans and trims, or just the wiring to them and install?
And how in the world do you come up with a price of $12 per amp for service? I never heard a per amp charge!

Status
Not open for further replies.