New build homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
i price per-device and fixture. That’s the most fair way in my opinion. You need to come up with an assembly price for each device, fixture, appliance, and service
This right here ☝️☝️

But honestly, I'm dumbfounded at the number of guys who come along and have no idea how much to charge to wire houses.

Have you never done a takeoff?

Have you never developed a sense for how much wire and other materials you'll need for a particular size and type of house?

Are you not able to size up a house and know how many hours it will take to wire it?

Maybe I had a different experience than most others, but I've worked for 7 different electrical contractors and with each of them I figured my own materials for every house

And with 3 of them I had to check in daily to tell how much time I needed to get done

Honestly, getting a one-off square foot price is the last thing you need. Especially if you're gonna do custom work.

Ok, rant over.....

Put in some work. Do a material takeoff for rough-in and finish. Multiply by 2.5 and you should be close because most guys I know doing residential new work are spending 40% of the price for materials

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
So I don't have a per amp charge but I do have a "base service charge" that covers a bare minimum electrical service of 200 amps with each stick of conduit after the 1st one for overhead being an additional line item in the bid. It works out to be the same as an underground when counting the time to dig the stick of 80 2 ft into the ground.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
dig the stick of 80 2 ft into the ground
Direct burial? We have only one POCO here that uses it. That makes a big difference when pricing a house.

One POCO requires minimum 3-inch PVC, even if it's 100 amp service. Adding $1,200 worth of conduit will blow a huge hole in a square foot price

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
He could get a job at minimum wage and come out as good as that!

Does he furnish the cans and trims, or just the wiring to them and install?
And how in the world do you come up with a price of $12 per amp for service? I never heard a per amp charge!
I'm sure $24 just covers wiring not fixture

Yeah that per amp struck me also, but works out the same as saying $x for 200 amp, times 2 for 400amp

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Back in 2008 people were wiring for $3.00 per sq ft and materials would cost about $1.25 per (which is right at 40%)

I was renting a place from a new home builder. He called me up one day and said a guy offered to wire his at $1.65 per sq ft, and wanted to know my thoughts.

The guy built duplexes that were 800 sq ft each side, all electric. Materials were still gonna cost $1.25/sf making his labor only 40¢/sf

So that guy was willing to rough in and trim the whole place for $640.00🤦‍♂️

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Insert Napoleon Dynamite quote. "That's like a dollar an hour"

Maybe OK if no afci in the jurisdiction or they're an extra not in the price list.
And no electric appliances or HVAC. Edit add: Let's see if there is a signed contract with a deposit payment from the builder. And be sure to include an escalation clause in the contract to cover copper wire price increases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.