New format and function not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
190813-1611 EDT

In this box it says "write something". I move cursor to this box, and "write something" is still present. Only after first character is entered does "write something" go away. This should happen as soon as I place the cursor here. The cursor placement is really the first character, and I need feedback that it actually is here.

When switching between "posts" and "latest activity" the date location changes.

rcarroll why not here? Where do you suggest? Many visitors to this forum can and will read this section.

White heading letters have now become black. Somebody is paying attention.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
White heading letters have now become black. Somebody is paying attention.

Just keep in mind this is a work in progress and has only been up and running for 1/2 a day. Keep the suggestions coming some will likely be implemented, unfortunately some will not.

By the way, where is the Campfire Chat forum?

It's right after the Controls and Logic Forum.

Updating the backend should not force a massive change in the user interface (now also called the "user experience" or UX).
Users should not have to poke around to find old familiar functions; when there's a large change there needs to be enough documentation so we don't have to waste time looking.
There appear to be some serious usability bugs.
Wasting screen real-estate on blank space is not helpful to anyone.
It now takes multiple steps to paste plain text into the edit window (whereas it used to work and should be the default, anyway).
This change ("upgrade"?) does not take into account https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment, often stated as A textbook formulation is: "People are part of the system. The design should match the user's experience, expectations, and mental models."

IMNSHO, the new UX is at best ungainly and at worse something that will make me stop reading the forums.

(grumble grumble, been working with and writing software since the mid 1970s; now get off my lawn :D)

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Linking members to social media will not maintain anonymity , Fact is, it's the quickest way to compromise it.

ask me how i know

~RJ~

tw1156

Don't know. Don't care. Campfire Chat? I just think it's odd we're in calculations & engineering. That's all. :)

I'm imagining these discussions placed in this sub forum just taking place in a class/lab setting with good old fashioned chalk board and writing each issue down as opposed to out back in lawn chairs around a campfire drinking beer and guys going 'ayyy' yeah, that too. More sophisticated discussion being out in the public I suppose.

kwired

Electron manager
How do I see only new posits since my last visit? :?
Something I have discovered that sort of works, but not as well as methods from old forum software - go to top of page and click on your user name, select "my recent posts". It seems to indicate which threads have unread posts and even has similar display to click on for "go to first unread post" though it doesn't seem to always go to the first unread post

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I want to see all new threads and posts, not only those I have posted in. :ashamed1:

I still don't see my avatar. :happysad:

I'm so disillusioned. :cry:

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wow, so far not many members [Like] no pun intended,this upgrade. They have a thumbs up but no thumbs down, not that I care there is this silly icon.

I'm not a frequent poster but I read all everyday and I'm not sure,but hope the software engineers can tweak this to the members liking.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I want to see all new threads and posts, not only those I have posted in. :ashamed1:

I still don't see my avatar. :happysad:

I'm so disillusioned. :cry:

I don't know about the avatars, the new posts or what's new are now "New Topics". It's location does not seem to be consistent. For some it's in a ribbon at the top of the page. For me it's in the Hamburger Menu near the top left, below Mike Holt's logo.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't know about the avatars, the new posts or what's new are now "New Topics". It's location does not seem to be consistent. For some it's in a ribbon at the top of the page. For me it's in the Hamburger Menu near the top left, below Mike Holt's logo.
I have no such menu icon. I'm always on a real computer, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.