New inspector making me mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
that a building code issue he’s a Forman for a large builder in Portland so he’s should know that clearance. It’s about 10’ from the lines.
I was almost clear of power lines original but was 2’ shy the elevated hot tub water line screwed me would of been fine if a pool or below grade hot tub lol

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Does a meter that’s locked from power company meet definition of 110.26 a (1)
Says likely to require examination, adjustments, servicing, or maintenance.
When I replace a bad main breaker, I cut the meter seal and pull the meter (hot), replace the breaker, put meter back in. I call the power company and they reseal it. I have done panel changes that way also. So I'd say 110.26 applies.
I get what your saying but I thinks that power company rules since there the once’s servicing not the general public. Article 90 states they don’t control utilities
Here there is no exemptions everyone has to follow the NEC after the "service point", including the utility.
And for that reason if a utility opts to do any work after the service point, they sub it out to contractors like us.
We had a contract years ago to replace a bunch of 'banjo' style meter bases for a power company, they all had to meet 110.26, so some got moved etc.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Is it? Sure stealing power is certainly illegal in all 50 states, but I bet most states don't actually have a law saying it is illegal to cut a meter seal. Most POCOs have a policy against it, but that doesn't make it illegal.
Illegal or not, in some jurisdictions cutting a meter tag will result in a hefty fine and power cut off until it is paid.

Crash117

Occupation
C-2 electrical contractor/owner operator
Illegal or not, in some jurisdictions cutting a meter tag will result in a hefty fine and power cut off until it is paid.
My jurisdiction poco uses proprietary locks on the meter ring and can’t be bypassed even if you remove the seal. There is a keyed lock on the meter seal as well as a cut proof meter ring. There’s no way to remove it safely without poco help. Most panels here are meter mains with a main shutoff between meter feed and panel power but panel could be open and under power when dead front is removed. Could be unsafe if you’re working on it and someone wants to use hot tub if within restricted area.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
My jurisdiction poco uses proprietary locks on the meter ring and can’t be bypassed even if you remove the seal. There is a keyed lock on the meter seal as well as a cut proof meter ring. There’s no way to remove it safely without poco help. Most panels here are meter mains with a main shutoff between meter feed and panel power but panel could be open and under power when dead front is removed. Could be unsafe if you’re working on it and someone wants to use hot tub if within restricted area.
In the 90's PECO started using those locking rings, I thought they were secure. Then I saw a guy open one in about 30 seconds with a drywall screw

Tampering with critical infrastructure is a federal offense , could be used as a citation
And how exactly do they prove who cut the seal? You really think they are going to invest any time and energy whatsoever in it (assuming it's just a meter seal and no evidence of any theft or other damage)? They send me a fine it's going on the garbage (recycling actually). I don't know anything about it.......[/QUOTE]

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
It’s about 10’ from the lines.
I was almost clear of power lines original but was 2’ shy the elevated hot tub water line screwed me would of been fine if a pool
sell the homeowner on a pergola allowing for a 3ft roof line clearance.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
And how exactly do they prove who cut the seal? You really think they are going to invest any time and energy whatsoever in it (assuming it's just a meter seal and no evidence of any theft or other damage)? They send me a fine it's going on the garbage (recycling actually). I don't know anything about it.......
I'm just reporting what I have seen, and I have seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.