New inspector making me mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have been scolded several times, but never threatened with a fine. I doubt a private utility has any authority to fine someone. They could threaten to turn off power, but I suspect that is also an empty threat as I'm pretty sure there are specific rules they have to follow in regards to turning off power.
Nevertheless, that's what happened.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
For all the extra people debating on breaking seal. Does the meter fall into 110.26(a)1
AC/DC:
The presence of a main breaker does not determine where the NEC begins.
Look carefully at article 90 and the definitions in 100 service point. The NEC clearly applies to the goose neck or weather head and your service entrance SE cable (or conduit) to the meter base and the meterbase.
Or your service lateral and meterbase.

And even if your state sees does it different you need to look up your utility specs.
Here in upstate NY National Grid pulls in the latest 2023 NEC, when our state is on the 2017:
"2.3.2 Codes, Standards and Wiring Adequacy
The Customer’s electric service equipment and its installation shall conform to the requirements of the
latest edition of the National Electrical Code
, all applicable local ordinances and building codes, in
addition to the Company requirements and specifications stated herein"
Source:

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
AC/DC:
The presence of a main breaker does not determine where the NEC begins.
Look carefully at article 90 and the definitions in 100 service point. The NEC clearly applies to the goose neck or weather head and your service entrance SE cable (or conduit) to the meter base and the meterbase.
Or your service lateral and meterbase.

And even if your state sees does it different you need to look up your utility specs.
Here in upstate NY National Grid pulls in the latest 2023 NEC, when our state is on the 2017:
"2.3.2 Codes, Standards and Wiring Adequacy
The Customer’s electric service equipment and its installation shall conform to the requirements of the
latest edition of the National Electrical Code
, all applicable local ordinances and building codes, in
addition to the Company requirements and specifications stated herein"
Source:
You are not understanding. Yes meter has to meet all NEC requirements.
But does the meter meet 110.26 a
It apllies if it is likely to need examination, adjustment, or servicing, or maintenance while engerzied. Not it does not because it’s not likely to be worked on live no different than a transformer that is also not likely.

Likely is the key word here

By mentioning main breaker I was stating it is more like to be inspected while engergized.

So if my power company said install to NEC and they’re fine with location the it’s cool. So the delayed is does the meter qualify as as “likely”

Last edited:

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Hell if this applies every receptacle under a sink is in violation of depth and width requirements since it applies to all electrical equipment
A receptacle only needs to be accessible not readily accessible. I don't think this could be applied to it. Service meters that dont have shut off ahead, fused disconnect according to WA state, and panels would though and that's been my experience in how it's treated.

kwired

Electron manager
It was several years ago, but as best I can remember it was ONCOR. We cut a meter tag to install new service conductors for a line side connected PV system and they got very pissy about it. I think we may have avoided the fine by promising to never never never do it again, but it was the utility, not a government body that tried to fine us. They initially removed the customer's meter and told us that they would not reset it until we paid up. I don't remember how much it was.
The fine was probably low enough that it not worth challenging in court, so most people would just pay up instead of going to court over it. Plus in situation you described there is the customer without service, take too long to figure this all out and they are going to sue you over what they lost.

kwired

Electron manager
There can be other applicable codes or requirements, but 110.26 does not specify any particular item it applies to. If you take 110.26 pretty literally then you must have clearance for just about anything imaginable. Might be able to conceal wiring methods but nearly every cabinet, box, etc. would fall under 110.26 clearance requirements. A simple junction box in a crawl space - you could take a voltage reading at the connections while troubleshooting the circuit in there - that is "examination while energized" as mentioned in 110.26.

Status
Not open for further replies.