Not open for further replies.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We used to have an old tree in Brooklyn-- yeah a real tree and all our old sneakers and shoes got thrown up into the tree. Winter time was fun to see all the shoes there.

Larry, my bet is the video is probably a scare video to get kids to stop. I imagine those vids are not what actually happened in this situation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yep and I believe that tree was a sycamore tree. That tree was very common because it could grow with it's roots under blacktop and concrete

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Hey :D :D :D we can start the ole "ground up" thread LOL

Evolution .. kids stick things in outlets, man invents Tampe Proof Receptacles, kids find a way !
Watch for the next Code change :D
(or a law .. likely in California fiirst, requiring coins to be non conductive)

growler

Evolution .. kids stick things in outlets, man invents Tampe Proof Receptacles, kids find a way !

I have already seen what would probably be a non-conductive coin. In Afghanistan at the PX and other places if you buy something and they don't have any real change they issue paper coins. They don't last very long so you try to keep them dry and spend them as soon as you can. They even have a name for the chits, they call them pogs (not sure of the spelling).

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I believe they're called credit and debit cards:)

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Ha! I like the HV line trick. I always thought it would be interesting to throw a chain over them and see what happens, but the 20 gauge wire probably does enough and is less destructive.
In 1973, I was a Junior Engineer with Duke (Power then) at the Buck Steam Station. We'd had some contractor put aluminum siding (4x12 sheets IIRC) on our newly installed precipitator structure. One of these sheets either was dropped, or blew out of the guys' hands onto the substation; I think our small (about 400MW if all was running) plant was all 100kV, but it might have been 230kV. I was indoors and missed the light, but the BOOM was heard for a pretty good distance.

I think some construction procedures were changed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No boom? How disappointing! :D
b203d47e20833a4da4b58d69b9c4ed957d9fc44125ab2dd92aa0dba0d68b0ddd.jpg

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
2023 NEC: 210.9- GFCI protection expanded to institituons and schools.
(A) Schools-all 125V, single phase receptacles shall have GFCI and integral AFCI protection for accidental coin to neutral faults.
Unfortunately, we all know that that would not work (and that that would not stop this idea from becoming code). The phase and neutral wires will carry the same current, so the GFCI device will not notice the presence of the coin. I don't know whether and AFCI device would recognize the event as matching the signature of an arcing fault.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Unfortunately, we all know that that would not work (and that that would not stop this idea from becoming code). The phase and neutral wires will carry the same current, so the GFCI device will not notice the presence of the coin. I don't know whether and AFCI device would recognize the event as matching the signature of an arcing fault.
Wouldn't that depend on whether the coin made a solid connection, or an intermittent one??

anthonysolino

thats a good point, not sure what current would do in the penny event, your saying the current on L1-N would be EXACTALLY the same during a fault like that? I see the concept, but in all reality you feel it would be if you stuck a clamp around a neutral to phase fault with a penny you would get an exact number on both lines ?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
thats a good point, not sure what current would do in the penny event, your saying the current on L1-N would be EXACTALLY the same during a fault like that? I see the concept, but in all reality you feel it would be if you stuck a clamp around a neutral to phase fault with a penny you would get an exact number on both lines ?

I believe it would. Where else would it go unless it happens to bounce against the plate screw?

Status
Not open for further replies.