new ridiculous CA law for 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I'm all for expanding my business model. however the proble belies with the fact that most home owners will not allow you to pull a permit to install a new circuit for around 400+ and then they have to spend thousands remodling 3 baths in the home.

Just not a working scenario.
This law was orginally supposed to go into effect if there is a sale of the property. That was completely removed.'
CA does not allow referral fees, electrical contractor cannot sub out this type of plumbing.
SO no extra money there LEGALLY that is. :cry:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'm all for expanding my business model. however the proble belies with the fact that most home owners will not allow you to pull a permit to install a new circuit for around 400+ and then they have to spend thousands remodling 3 baths in the home.

Just not a working scenario.
This law was orginally supposed to go into effect if there is a sale of the property. That was completely removed.'
CA does not allow referral fees, electrical contractor cannot sub out this type of plumbing.
SO no extra money there LEGALLY that is. :cry:

this is how it is:

welcome to california.
it's expensive to live here.
it's more expensive to own property here.

my property taxes on a 1,700 sq ft tract house are more
than a lot of people's mortgage payments in other parts of the
country.

don't like all the rules? well, you don't have to upgrade
those fixtures if you sell the house, so... sell the house,
and move to duluth.

and buy a snowthrower...

the REASON why this is being done is 'cause southern california
steals ALL THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA WATER IT CAN, and that
water in the sacramento delta is at risk. if there are some key
levy failures.... (think new orleans) all that freshwater gets
MIXED WITH SEAWATER, AND IS UNUSABLE.

add to the fact that hoover dam is below normal levels by
ONE HUNDRED THIRTY FEET, AND IS AT THIS MOMENT
THIRTY ONE FEET AWAY FROM THE CRITICAL LEVEL WHERE
THE PENSTOCKS ARE ABOVE THE WATER LEVEL.

so, big deal... how does this effect everyone in the US?

simple. one out of every six people in america lives within
125 miles of my house, and every damn one of them uses
that water.

there is the owens river, the sacramento delta water, and
the colorado water. there isn't any other damn water.
there is enough naturally occurring water in so calif to take
care of half a million to a million people, total.

and that means that if you have a water system failure here,
A SIXTH OF THE UNITED STATES POPULATION HAS NO
DRINKING WATER, AND NO WAY TO GET MORE.

where this tips the US economy on it's nose is that there aren't
the resources at the federal level to recover from this.

want to watch the united states economy collapse? we are thirty
one feet away from it, RIGHT NOW. i'm not kidding.

now, i know that you are upset that this inconvenient law went
into effect. get over it. if you can see the penstock tubes, then
the only water that can be gotten to make up the shortfall is
the owens valley, and there isn't enough there to make the nut,
but every drop of it will get sucked up trying. so we will pull all
the water from the sacramento delta that we can, and if the leavies
breach from that, then it's salt water, and the cascade effect
will bury the US economy.

and you won't have to upgrade your bathroom fixtures, 'cause there
won't be any water in the pipes.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Wow
So you think that low flush toilets and faucets are going to save us.

Do you have a home and a lawn?
One month of lawn irrigation is more than a water conscious family would use in a whole year. So I think it's time to think of alternatives to lawns.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
no, i don't.
your duly elected politicians do, that is why they passed the law you are all
snarky over.

i just stated WHY the law was there. i didn't say i agreed with
the reasoning behind it.
You did not answer if you had a lawn.
You did not ask if you are willing to give up the green lawn

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
One thing that Californians seem to forget is that nature still has more power than man. They do get reminded once in a while but easily forget. That region has limited water and high population, it is always going to have water problems. One day an unusual amount of rain may fall and there will be flooding, but it will all be over with in short time and there will be limited water again, not that flood water is a good source of drinking water anyway. Other thing that always gets me is the wildfires and how the media portrays just how terrible this is. Mother nature has been burning these fires long before man decided to settle there, it is a natural event.

kwired

Electron manager
this is how it is:

welcome to california.
it's expensive to live here.
it's more expensive to own property here.

my property taxes on a 1,700 sq ft tract house are more
than a lot of people's mortgage payments in other parts of the
country.

don't like all the rules? well, you don't have to upgrade
those fixtures if you sell the house, so... sell the house,
and move to duluth.

and buy a snowthrower...
I don't disagree, but how does average income and cost of living compare to Duluth? When cost of living is lower average income is usually lower also, still kind of evens things out from that perspective. Duluth not only has snow, but there is plenty of water. In summer there is also something so Cal doesn't know much about - mosquitoes. Minnesotans sometimes refer to them as the 'state bird'.

We get occasional California transplants to the area. They get tired of all the people and everything that goes with it there, and will spend what locals see as a lot of money for a house when they get here, but it looks cheap to them based on what they are used to seeing where they come from. Now unless they are wise with their money, or somehow end up with a well paying job, many of them go through what money they brought pretty fast, I think some of it is just because they see lower cost on a lot of things and they kind of forget they don't make as much as they used to and don't realize what they can/can not afford.

PetrosA

We get occasional California transplants to the area. They get tired of all the people and everything that goes with it there, and will spend what locals see as a lot of money for a house when they get here, but it looks cheap to them based on what they are used to seeing where they come from. Now unless they are wise with their money, or somehow end up with a well paying job, many of them go through what money they brought pretty fast, I think some of it is just because they see lower cost on a lot of things and they kind of forget they don't make as much as they used to and don't realize what they can/can not afford.

That reminds me of what I remember happening here back in the late 80s which was the start of a local boom in population. Lots of corporations started opening offices here and transplants from CA came with them, driving up real estate prices fast. Population data for the county I grew up in (Chester):

1980 316,660
1990 376,396
2000 433,501
2010 498,886
2012 (est.) 506,575

The boom also changed the historical character/appearance of Chester County forever. Sadly.

kwired

Electron manager
That reminds me of what I remember happening here back in the late 80s which was the start of a local boom in population. Lots of corporations started opening offices here and transplants from CA came with them, driving up real estate prices fast. Population data for the county I grew up in (Chester):

1980 316,660
1990 376,396
2000 433,501
2010 498,886
2012 (est.) 506,575

The boom also changed the historical character/appearance of Chester County forever. Sadly.

Same thing is happening in oil field communities in North Dakota. Some long time locals are leaving from what I understand.

Population numbers there may not be in the hundred thousands, but is a big change from what they are used to in that area and does have an impact on what once was normal conditions.

Fulthrotl

I don't disagree, but how does average income and cost of living compare to Duluth? When cost of living is lower average income is usually lower also, still kind of evens things out from that perspective. Duluth not only has snow, but there is plenty of water. In summer there is also something so Cal doesn't know much about - mosquitoes. Minnesotans sometimes refer to them as the 'state bird'.

there's nothing wrong with duluth... i pulled a city name out of the air.
all my wife's family is either from minnesota, or the dakotas. and as long
as i had a 4x4 with mattracks, and a day job that i don't have to spend outside,
i'd be as happy there as anywhere.... 'cept that i just looked at the weather
for duluth right now.... so maybe i might not be that happy.

holy cow. holy frozen cow

• Wind Chill values: 30 to 40 below zero Saturday night into Sunday. Wind Chill readings of
  • 40 to 55 below zero are then expected from Sunday night into Tuesday.

i was just tired, first off. started yesterday at 1AM, and it'd been
a long day, and sierra sparky was in a fair old froth about this latest
perfidy of the california legislature, and there is actually a valid reason
why they put the silly law in place, and i sorta just let fly.

to the best of my knowledge, the only thing the state of california ever
got right was prop.13, back in the 70's. so a huge froth a thon about
one more thing that won't accomplish anything seemed a bit much.

so, i got a bit irate. my apologies to both the general group here,
and to the people of duluth, who need all the help they can get.

50 below wind chill? crap.

kwired

Electron manager
there's nothing wrong with duluth... i pulled a city name out of the air.
all my wife's family is either from minnesota, or the dakotas. and as long
as i had a 4x4 with mattracks, and a day job that i don't have to spend outside,
i'd be as happy there as anywhere.... 'cept that i just looked at the weather
for duluth right now.... so maybe i might not be that happy.

holy cow. holy frozen cow

• Wind Chill values: 30 to 40 below zero Saturday night into Sunday. Wind Chill readings of
  • 40 to 55 below zero are then expected from Sunday night into Tuesday.
When was the last time you went snowmobiling, cross country skiing, or ice fishing in Huntington Beach?:D

I almost included ice skating, but chances are that activity is a little more of a realistic happening - just not on a non conditioned body of water.

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

When was the last time you went snowmobiling, cross country skiing, or ice fishing in Huntington Beach?:D

all i got to do today after work, was go..... wear flip flops........ i feel so.... so very....... sad. :cool:
every place has it's +'s and -'s..... for example, duluth has a -55. huntington has a +68.

truth is, i'd probably love it, 'cause i'd be looking for the +'s that weren't temperature related.

one of my customers relocated from san diego, to Cody, Wyoming.
when he was down here a few weeks ago, he said his wife was a bit upset
about the climate. mission bay, and a boat slip, to 7 degrees, and a snow drift.

sounds like a recipe for domestic violence to me.

in truth, i've never been snowmobiling, but i've gone dirt biking in the snow, and half
my mustache froze and broke off. do i get partial credit for that?

kwired

Electron manager
all i got to do today after work, was go..... wear flip flops........ i feel so.... so very....... sad. :cool:
every place has it's +'s and -'s..... for example, duluth has a -55. huntington has a +68.

truth is, i'd probably love it, 'cause i'd be looking for the +'s that weren't temperature related.

one of my customers relocated from san diego, to Cody, Wyoming.
when he was down here a few weeks ago, he said his wife was a bit upset
about the climate. mission bay, and a boat slip, to 7 degrees, and a snow drift.

sounds like a recipe for domestic violence to me.

in truth, i've never been snowmobiling, but i've gone dirt biking in the snow, and half
my mustache froze and broke off. do i get partial credit for that?
Your partial credit isn't very much unless you were riding in 24" or more of snow, and to do that you about need tires as wide as the belt on a snowmobile:)

Minnesota and Wyoming have 68 degree days also, they just are not very common at this time of year. The "-" in some southern places is they are robbed of participating in winter activities, without man made accommodations anyway:happyyes: But at same time you probably don't have to travel just too far for some experiences. Imagine what LA area traffic would be like if a blizzard ever hit the area:eek:hmy:

mgookin

Your partial credit isn't very much unless you were riding in 24" or more of snow, and to do that you about need tires as wide as the belt on a snowmobile:)

Minnesota and Wyoming have 68 degree days also, they just are not very common at this time of year. The "-" in some southern places is they are robbed of participating in winter activities, without man made accommodations anyway:happyyes: But at same time you probably don't have to travel just too far for some experiences. Imagine what LA area traffic would be like if a blizzard ever hit the area:eek:hmy:

Lore has it that it snowed in Miami many decades ago and there were crashes everywhere. The roads were not slippery at all because the snow melted as it hit the ground. The crashes were from people freaking out because they had never seen snow before.

GerryB

Boy have we digressed!:rant:

Yes you have, but I have enjoyed reading this post with the rants, the raves, the apologies etc. It certainly is a ridiculous law. (anybody vote for Obama in this post?) As one said it will probably be very disregarded. I don't know your laws but up here in CT. we rarely take a permit for small jobs, even many bath or kitchen remodels, always for any type of addition or major work. But if any of you sunny California guys want a change come up here. A quick glance at a map will show you that Connecticut is the armpit of New England. We have a lot of water, all of it dirty. We even have dirty salt water, it's called Long Island Sound. Also don't worry about spending less on food, property and taxes, we are right up there in the top 4 or 5. And finally, being from the left coast I guess you don't have to worry about bringing any illegal AR15's or high capacity ammo clips in since you don't have any either. Sorry. I don't have much to do today, it's 10 degrees and my van won't start.

Yes you have, but I have enjoyed reading this post with the rants, the raves, the apologies etc. It certainly is a ridiculous law. (anybody vote for Obama in this post?) As one said it will probably be very disregarded. I don't know your laws but up here in CT. we rarely take a permit for small jobs, even many bath or kitchen remodels, always for any type of addition or major work. But if any of you sunny California guys want a change come up here. A quick glance at a map will show you that Connecticut is the armpit of New England. We have a lot of water, all of it dirty. We even have dirty salt water, it's called Long Island Sound. Also don't worry about spending less on food, property and taxes, we are right up there in the top 4 or 5. And finally, being from the left coast I guess you don't have to worry about bringing any illegal AR15's or high capacity ammo clips in since you don't have any either. Sorry. I don't have much to do today, it's 10 degrees and my van won't start.

Van should start when it's 10 degrees! That could (possibly) keep you from work for quite a prolonged period of time in the tri-state area. You need a new battery:thumbsup:.

Fulthrotl

we don't need snow... when it firsts rains after a dry spell, the streets are really slick till they get washed off...
and the st00pid californicators have ten car pile ups, well, cause they are st00pid.

i've offroaded a lot, and you learn to drive in some serious slop, but in 1999, i spent december in fort wayne,
and i figured that the local people would have snow driving *down*. nope. it was freaking scary watching people
blow past you at 50 mph on these little two lane roads, and you can feel your drive wheels keep breaking loose
on patches of ice at 30 mph.

the part i didn't get, is that in indiana, studs and chains are illegal, BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD ON THE ROADS.
i had a pair of chains with me, 'cause everyone in LA has them 'cause when it snows on cajon pass, they
WON'T LET YOU PAST THE CHP CHECKPOINT WITHOUT CHAINS.

everyone in LA has chains, but no snow or water. indiana has all this snow, and chains are illegal.

and i thought california was batchit crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.