New shunt-trip breaker failed - should I pay for the replacement?

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have you put a meter on the shunt trip coil to see if its open? Have you removed the shunt trip coil to see if it looks melted and tried to close the breaker?
I have the failed breaker with me now. I'll take a closer look within the next couple of days and get back to you with results. I took a look already a few minutes ago and I'm not sure that the coil was the problem. It didn't smell burned or look overheated. But when I try to reset the breaker, it's like it pushes a little more than halfway and then lets go.

I recall having the same problem a year ago with another GE breaker, a brand new THQL1125 that was doing exactly the same thing. Had to replace that one too, but of course that one was a lot cheaper so I didn't think much of it or try to diagnose the reason. I thought it may have been dropped before being installed. The one I'm currently dealing with was installed from the factory, so that shouldn't have been an issue.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
THQB ST breakers can take maintained voltage. The failure you’re describing isn’t uncommon for GE breakers and it happened to me quite a few times over the years. GE always replaced them under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
THQB ST breakers can take maintained voltage. The failure you’re describing isn’t uncommon for GE breakers and it happened to me quite a few times over the years. GE always replaced them under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GE Industrial Solutions is a part of ABB now, in case that changes any previous policies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
GE Industrial Solutions is a part of ABB now, in case that changes any previous policies.

Nothing changed that i could see (other than molded case breakers changed from GE to ABB). That deal happened in 2018 and i probably had a half dozen failures from then to 2023. I had the same GE rep for over a decade.