New weatherhead tilted

jwhite518

New User
Occupation
Homeowner
I'm a homeowner. My solar company just installed a new main panel with 200 amp service to overhead electrical power (PG&E.) They put in a new weatherhead on the roof and ran new conduit down the side of the house (exterior.) The weatherhead is slightly titled. I've asked them why it's not straight, and they said it's due to the pressure of the wires and it's perfectly safe. It passed PG&E inspection but not is not finaled by the city yet. I think it should not be tilted, and that they have a workmanship issue. Would an experienced electrician say it's OK and normal for a brand new weatherhead to be tilted due to wire pressure, or is this BS and I should demand they fix it? Am attaching a pic. The old weatherhead is visible in this pic and it was definitely tilted, so don't let your eye be distracted.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is definitely sub par work. PG&E wouldn't care about what it looks like.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Be sure to tell the city inspector what you think.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I thought it had to be rigid conduit, and strapped to the wall a certain distance without a joint.

If this install is otherwise okay, perhaps it should be guyed. And the old mast removed! :rolleyes:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I thought it had to be rigid conduit, and strapped to the wall a certain distance without a joint.

If this install is otherwise okay, perhaps it should be guyed. And the old mast removed! :rolleyes:

I agree the first thing I noticed is that it was met not rigid. Maybe California does it wrong....hahaha

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The tilt may be due to the conduit going through the roof at an angle. Or it may be because a coupling is near the roof on the underside. There is no way that the pipe could continue to remain straight.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Imo, this should not pass inspection.
Agreed.

(Upping your post count, Dennis?
crackup.gif
)

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I see two issues right off. The one strap below the roof penetration is only half attached and overhanging the wall corner. Looks like EMT not Rigid and the compression connector looks to be a EMT coupler not a threaded coupler both suggesting installation is EMT. Roof penetration likely an issue as the seal looks a little off, maybe even lifted off and compromised. Pipe from 90 through the roof up to the weather head looks out of line and bent. Suggesting that it is not able to support the weight of the overhead conductor.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have to because you are catching up to me and you were gone a long time. I am always amazed at Bob's (Iwire) count-- he still has the lead, I think, and he hasn't been here in 4 1/2 years.
Not only that, he had tens of thousands on other forums, so if anyone catches him here they still have a long way to go in order to match him.

david

The 90 is on the corner of the dwelling, so the 90 cannot be moved to the right.

The roof decking penetration would have to be moved to the left.

It looks to be a bend made on site, can't say for sure though. If so there is unlikely a coupling between the one at the unistrut and the weather head.

That being said it looks to be a workmanship issue and not a safety issue.

Emt is not exceptable hear for the portion supporting the service drop.
It would have to be ridget or at least intermediate conduit.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
This implementation is poor. Usually with a mast, you run a solid stick of conduit up through the roof and support that stick in at least 2 places below the roof. That keeps it from moving. The conduit also needs to be rigid conduit and not EMT. This one is supported under the roof in one place and the elbow is providing a bit of support, but the elbow and unistrut support are too close to each other to be beneficial (the portion going through the roof is much longer making it a long lever on that support).

I'm not sure what recourse you have. The code requires that things be done in a workman like manner. That is a rather arbitrary definition. An electrical inspector can be the judge of that. Hopefully the city inspector will make them fix it. If not, the contractor will probably say it is workman like because it wasn't failed. You most likely need a mast leg or guy kit installed (and hopefully they straighten the mast as they install it). If EMT isn't allowed in your area, they may need to switch to rigid metal conduit for the mast section. That one is more difficult, as the service needs to be cut to replace that pipe section. Just adding a guy or mast leg won't require the service to be disconnected.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Looks like a case of poor design on the electrician's part and possibly an over zealous PG&E employee making the drop taught.
As the homeowner I would not accept (pay) for the installation.
My suggestion would be to look at the possibility of an eye bolt thru the rafters rather than attachment to the poorly installed riser.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Looks like a rigid 90 with an emt adapter. Looks like a factory 90 and rigid coupling to the mast through the roof. It appears they missed on the hole though the roof, and that’s why it’s leaning.
Both the 90 and mast above the roof look like rigid to me. Regardless, it is not straight. I agree, the hole through the roof may be too large and allowing the mast to lean.

david

Notice the peace of unistrut under the soffit the right side of it goes out past the corner of the house.
I would imagine it has two bolts fasting it to the house, but they could have cut the excess off.

Mabe they are young and need some guidance

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Looks like a nice historic home, had one here like that was close to the pole but due to clearance would have needed a 8' mast, so we just converted it to underground service, buried the cable also, those OH masts are hard to make look good.