New weatherhead tilted

david

They need patience. A long pilot bit and a level.

Use a lock nut to lay it out under the soffit, drill a pilot hole through just the soffit, plumb the pilot bit, plumb it again at 90 deg run the pilot bit through the roof decking and shingles.

Finish it with a hole saw not that hard.

If we going to tell them all that's wrong with it, maybe they need a hint on how to do it right

farmantenna

Red flag. RED FLAG.

Doesn't look like rigid 90 to me with compression coupling. Looks like all the tension from aerial cable will be at the 90/riser pipe coupling. Should have counterpoise guy wire..

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
It’s possible that a factory 90 was used and if so that’s a short section of. Conduit thru the roof, which is why it’s not plumb.
In WA we have very specific state rules on how an overhead service drop is done. This one pictured would not pass.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Everyone agrees its crooked... but if the op is a politician i say its perfect!
But seriously, getting your own service red tagged so a solar company fixes a crooked pipe may or may not be the best course of action.
What did the company say when you asked them to fix it?

kwired

Electron manager
Everyone agrees its crooked... but if the op is a politician i say its perfect!
But seriously, getting your own service red tagged so a solar company fixes a crooked pipe may or may not be the best course of action.
What did the company say when you asked them to fix it?
From OP: "I've asked them why it's not straight, and they said it's due to the pressure of the wires and it's perfectly safe."

I kind of assume they don't have any intention of doing anything to straighten it.

acin

Occupation
general building contractor est.1984 . C 10 elec. lic.as of 8 / 7/ 2020
I thought it had to be rigid conduit, and strapped to the wall a certain distance without a joint.

If this install is otherwise okay, perhaps it should be guyed. And the old mast removed! :rolleyes:
they left the old mast in to avoid patching the roof , bunch of hacks

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Is it actually acceptable to use the SE riser as a securing point for the incoming service? I thought it had to be secured to the structure.

Buck Parrish

Is it actually acceptable to use the SE riser as a securing point for the incoming service? I thought it had to be secured to the structure.
Yes . it's done all the time. We always use rigid. It's in NEC 230 Some electric companies may have different rules. Such as how far of a drop it is. Most companies require the rigid to be not more the 5 ft from the roof.

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think you guys are all mostly off the mark. I don't know how you all think you can tell it that it's EMT and not rigid from here with that low res photo. The tilt is essentially a purely aesthetic issue. Most concerning is whether that cantilevered strut is effectively securing anything. Otherwise not the prettiest work to be sure, but show me the code violation that you can confirm without a better photo.

jaggedben

Occupation
My BS detector is going off. 🚨
I agree. That was dumb of them to say. Just say 'it's fine'.

I think PG&E has told their linemen not to do it any other way. Too many insulators coming off houses due to dry rot. So they ask you to check off a bunch of paperwork stating you've secured the riser with 3/8" lag screws, and then if your riser falls off the building it's on you and not them. (It's really a joke because they don't check what the 3/8" lags are screwed *into* and a 3/8" lag is considered too big to screw into 2x considering seismic. But that's how they do.)

jaggedben

Occupation

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think you guys are all mostly off the mark. I don't know how you all think you can tell it that it's EMT and not rigid from here with that low res photo. The tilt is essentially a purely aesthetic issue. Most concerning is whether that cantilevered strut is effectively securing anything. Otherwise not the prettiest work to be sure, but show me the code violation that you can confirm without a better photo.
To me the conduit looks too shiny to be rigid.

jaggedben

Occupation
I repeat, I think ya'll are crazy to think you can tell what kind of conduit that is from here.

However, now that I look at the photo carefully one more time, I'm concerned.

Below the 90 the strut is on the siding, and above the 90 the strut is on the trim, and it all looks flush to the wood. The trim must be flush or proud of the siding, meaning the riser should be plumb or pushed *outward* from the house. Instead, the riser is clearly leaning *inward* toward the middle of the house, which strongly suggests that there is a cockeyed joint at a compression coupler above the 90. A threaded coupler wouldn't have allowed that much play. The compression coupler may not hang on, especially in the long term. In conclusion, the riser needs to be braced above the roof.