NFPA: Who Are They? Independence Day and Other Influences

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The great State of Wisconsin recognizes every citizen's right to purchase and own fireworks. At this time of year, there are vendors (tents and trailers) located at almost every highway exit.

However it is illegal to use them in this state unless you have a license issued by a municipal body.

Rampage_Rick

frizbeedog said:
I was just talking about crossing the border from Oregon to Washington, for some harmless mortars.
Tell you what, if we meet up halfway maybe we can get a two-fer bargain.

Funny thing: back in high school when they tell you what you should do in life, my #1 recommended vocation was pyrotechnician. (Followed by blaster/demolition) Evidently my mechanical/electrical aptitude (the 'Knack') combined with my personalty type is highly suited to this field. Sparky was down around 5th place. BOOM! :D

Wow, all this talk about suing has me thinking people woke up on the wrong side of the PPE. Seeing this coming form electrician's and other professionals is just shocking.* ;) :grin: :roll:

Now, let's all go out and purchase some fireworks so we can celebrate our nation's independence by blowing up a small chunk of it.**

If I don't get another chance before then, happy 4th everybody! Now, sit back with your beverage of choice, take a load off and enjoy the day off.

*If you want to sue me for not being punny, you have to wait in line, just like everyone else. If you want to sue me for any other reason, you are free to join the class action lawsuit.;) :grin: :roll:

**Disclaimer: That was intended to be a joke, nothing contained in that message shall be construed as a threat or attack of any kind.;) :grin:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
and instead, to enjoy displays of fireworks conducted by trained professionals.

About 4 or 5 years ago the 'trained professionals' hired to do our city's fireworks display had a bit of a mishap and managed to light the entire barge's cache of fireworks off all at once. About a 45 minute display went up in less than 5 minutes.

Yes, it *was* cool to watch.

sandsnow

jim dungar said:
The great State of Wisconsin recognizes every citizen's right to purchase and own fireworks. At this time of year, there are vendors (tents and trailers) located at almost every highway exit.

However it is illegal to use them in this state unless you have a license issued by a municipal body.

I go back to WI every year in Sept. My cousins walk me up to the counter with my Calif. ID and I buy a trunkload. We go back to my cousins place and we're all 16 years old again settin off fireworks.

tonyou812

When I was in the Marines I was a 0341-Mortar man and I qualified with M-16 9mm and M-60 so fireworks really don't do it for me anymore. There a bit anticlimatic all bark and bite. Oh yea I forgot my MkIII Phaser.

K8MHZ said:
To make me even more biased, I personally know people that have been injured and maimed (fingers and parts of hands blown off) from setting off fireworks.

Most fireworks are illegal in Michigan but the law seems not to be enforced.

Anytime the word most is involved NOTHING is abided by.

iwire

Staff member
K8MHZ said:

Skateboard-related injuries account for an estimated 50 000 emergency department visits and 1500 hospitalizations among children and adolescents in the United States each year. Nonpowered scooter-related injuries accounted for an estimated 9400 emergency department visits between January and August 2000, and 90% of these patients were children younger than 15 years.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;109/3/542

Results: During the study period from 1980?2001, 149 fatal injuries associated with downhill skiing were identified; 21 (14.1%) occurred among child skiers aged 17 years. The age of the youngest decedent was 7 years. In females the proportion of fatal injuries among child skiers was nearly three times that of adults. Traumatic brain injuries were the leading cause of death (67% of all deaths) among children, while multiple internal injuries and traumatic brain injuries accounted for almost equal proportions of fatal injuries among adults. Collision was the leading external mechanism of fatal injuries, accounting for more than two thirds of fatal injuries in both child and adult skiers.

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/10/2/99

So just how do we pick and choose which dangerous yet fun activities should be banned? :confused:

mxslick

A big oops..

A big oops..

K8MHZ said:
About 4 or 5 years ago the 'trained professionals' hired to do our city's fireworks display had a bit of a mishap and managed to light the entire barge's cache of fireworks off all at once. About a 45 minute display went up in less than 5 minutes.

Yes, it *was* cool to watch.

I can top that. :grin:

Years ago, I worked for an amusement park here in sunny So Cali. I ran a follow spot for the nightly fireworks show at the lake.

A year or so prior to my tenure, they had a breakdown in their old style mechanical fireworks controller. (This thing looked like one of the old IBM or Univac computers.) My boss went to the controller, powered it up, inserted his arming key....

And when he armed it, the ENTIRE SHOW (about 450+ fireworks) detonated at once!! (A fifteen minute show up in about 4 seconds.)

All the guests were stunned by the noise and concussive forces..my boss exchanged looks with the horrified pyro technicians, then played the show's exit tape.. :D

"We hope you enjoyed Xxxxx's Summer Fireworks spectacular, and that you'll come back and visit us again soon. "

What else could you do?

Needless to say that controller was retired that very night.

mxslick

Dangerous activities..

Dangerous activities..

iwire said:
So just how do we pick and choose which dangerous yet fun activities should be banned?

Hopefully we don't, that's what freedom is all about.

My fav activity, motocross, is a pretty dangerous sport, but overall the serious injury rate is less than that of high school football.*

My doctors (most of them anyway) have tried to ban me from riding while on my blood thinners, I told them where they can put their opinion.

I get a lot of exercise, a great cardio workout and a HUGE reduction in stress level by riding. So I will continue to ride until I either can't because my joints won't allow it or I die while racing. :)

Bear in mind these same docs are nagging me to get more exercise too.... :)

*NOTE: That is strictly an observation based on years of racing and officiating at races, and a few years spent working the sidelines at my HS. I recall more "injuries per game" at the football games as opposed to "injuries per race" at the track. An average race day will be over 250 riders and 24 actual race events (12 races of 2 "motos" each.)

peter d

mxslick said:
I can top that. :grin:

Years ago, I worked for an amusement park here in sunny So Cali. I ran a follow spot for the nightly fireworks show at the lake.

A year or so prior to my tenure, they had a breakdown in their old style mechanical fireworks controller. (This thing looked like one of the old IBM or Univac computers.) My boss went to the controller, powered it up, inserted his arming key....

And when he armed it, the ENTIRE SHOW (about 450+ fireworks) detonated at once!! (A fifteen minute show up in about 4 seconds.)

All the guests were stunned by the noise and concussive forces..my boss exchanged looks with the horrified pyro technicians, then played the show's exit tape.. :D

"We hope you enjoyed Xxxxx's Summer Fireworks spectacular, and that you'll come back and visit us again soon. "

What else could you do?

Needless to say that controller was retired that very night.

Great story! :D

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
iwire said:
So just how do we pick and choose which dangerous yet fun activities should be banned? :confused:
Your asking a bunch of people that have picked a dangerous yet fun career this?

frizbeedog

Fireworks and Pets

Fireworks and Pets

My first dog, a Dalmation, left earth this last December. But about two and a half years prior, he left for a different reason.

It's a week after the Fourth of July, and I'm in the yard teaching the finer points of frisbee to the new dog, Frizbeedog (aka Emily). She got the hang of it quick, and old spot want's to join in but his old tired body isn't up to it. So he's just milling about the yard as we play frisbee.

Boom!....Someone has some leftover fireworks and had decided to light 'em off. I look at spot and he's OK. I know his history with fireworks and they had always freaked him out. But I'm not paying attention like I should.

Boom!....I look over and spot is gone. Not just gone, but could not be found.

Three days and nights type of gone....and a sick feeling knowing that a dog in advaced years, with failing joints, and failing eyesight, had chosen to flee to points unkown.

He made his way back home by some miracle. Where he went and what he did, I'll never know. We looked high and low. I thought that was the last of him. But that old Dalmation was determined to return, and return he did. I had gained a new found respect for the capability and determination of a loyal pet.

Some two extra years with that dog was given back to me. :smile:

Just wanted to share that story of fireworks and pets.

Thanks.

...I still love fireworks. :cool:

iwire

Staff member
mxslick said:
Hopefully we don't, that's what freedom is all about.

That was pretty much my point. :cool:

There are many things Americans like to do that are in fact dangerous, I am at a loss to understand why fireworks seem to be singled out for banning.

Status
Not open for further replies.