NFPA: Who Are They? Independence Day and Other Influences

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxslick

Indeed Bob, a good point.

But on the topic of fireworks, I can see why a ban has been imposed, at least here in California. Conditions are so dry, and the Northern half of the state is already battling literally hundreds of wildfires right now.

Sad to say that common sense isn't so common anymore, and too many people here think it's ok to shoot off fireworks in dry areas and I feel that this year will be our worst ever in terms of fireworks-caused fires. :(

Does a ban go too far? Maybe, and in some cases (and areas) a sound argument can be made that it is unnecessary. But if the choice is no fireworks, or losing lives or property to wildfires, I'd vote for the ban...with one condition: that it be lifted when conditions are once again safe.

Have a Happy and Safe Fourth everyone!!

iwire said:
That was pretty much my point. :cool:

There are many things Americans like to do that are in fact dangerous, I am at a loss to understand why fireworks seem to be singled out for banning.
Electrical work, along with most types of construction are illegal. Unless you have a license. There are too many people without common sense doing things they shouldn't do, then angry families left behind screaming *doing my best Helen Lovejoy* "What about the children, won't somebody think of the children!?!". Which makes politician's want to enact a law banning that, since it makes it look like they're doing something.

If you remember a few years back to when #3 had his accident, all kinds of groups came out with both barrels blazing telling everyone who would listen that if only he had _____ he would be alive. Which led to talks about new regulations in racing, most of which didn't come to fruition.

One of the most ridiculous ideas was the halo helmet. It was a racing helmet with a head injury halo attached to it, which immobilized the wearers head and neck, making it almost impossible for them to look left or right more than a few degrees...while driving 200 miles per hour, surrounded by other cars going 200 miles per hour. It probably would have saved his life by immobilizing his neck, but that would only be for the first accident. All the other accidents caused by people who couldn't see what was going on around them could go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.