NM cable in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

automaton

Ok heres a question I would like an answer to. I have seen many contradictory statements on this issue. Is it within code to run Type NM cable indoors from a basement to a conduit stub leading to a 10' piece of conduit up to an outdoor fixture? This is residential.

peter d

Re: NM cable in conduit

I am still at a loss to understand the safety hazard of running NM cable inside of a raceway in a dry location. :confused:

Jhr

By Ryan: 2002 or 2005?
Not to offend or disrespect but what's with the 1 or 2 word or numbers answers, which I have seen a lot of, can't we just give the code referance like for instance NEC 2005 334.15 (B) and go on, the man is asking for advice :) .

[ August 12, 2005, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Jhr ]

ryan_618

Because there was a code change that addressed this. I need to know which code applies before I answer.

Under the 2002, I would refer you to 358.22 and tell you it is a violation.

Under the 2005, I would refer you to 358.22 and tell you it is not a violation.

ryan_618

Originally posted by peter d:
I am still at a loss to understand the safety hazard of running NM cable inside of a raceway in a dry location. :confused:
Theres not. The prohibition in 2002 was a mistake and lack of communication between CMP's 7 and 8. I spoke with Gaylen Rogers (chairperson of panel 7) about this is a few years back during the ROC of the 2005.

Jhr

Because there was a code change that addressed this. I need to know which code applies before I answer.

Under the 2002, I would refer you to 358.22 and tell you it is a violation.

Under the 2005, I would refer you to 358.22 and tell you it is not a violation.
I stand corrected Sir, that is why you are the inspector, and from what I have seen of your posts you sure know your stuff, I guess I need to open my code book more often. I'm still under the 2002 but on this one I will have to disagree and quote NEC 2002 344.15(B) :)

ryan_618

The question then becomes...how long of a peice of EMT can you use? I would have no problem signing off on a ten foot length, but I would have issues (under the 2002) with anything more. Again, it really isn't a safety issue, and once I learned that this was simply a mistake I would have allowed more than 10'.

I do think, however, that an inspector would be justified in writing this as a violation in the 2002, however silly that may be. :)

marinesgt0411

Originally posted by ryan_618:
The question then becomes...how long of a peice of EMT can you use? I would have no problem signing off on a ten foot length, but I would have issues (under the 2002) with anything more. Again, it really isn't a safety issue, and once I learned that this was simply a mistake I would have allowed more than 10'.

I do think, however, that an inspector would be justified in writing this as a violation in the 2002, however silly that may be. :)

marinesgt0411

that did not work to well

I do think, however, that an inspector would be justified in writing this as a violation in the 2002, however silly that may be. :D

so 334.15(B) says that the cable shall be put into conduit and that it is a violation to put the cable in conduit

I do not understand please explain

ryan_618

Lets say you are in an unfinished basement and have to go fifteen feet from a surface mounted switch to a light, and you install EMT and pull NM cable through it. That isn't physical protection, thats a wiring method, in many people's opinion.
When is the line crossed between a sleeve and raceway?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by ryan_618:
When is the line crossed between a sleeve and raceway?
In my opinion, if both ends of the conduit are attached to boxes, etc., with connectors, it's a conduit system; otherwise, it's a sleeve.

marinesgt0411

Originally posted by automaton:

indoors from a basement to a conduit stub leading to a 10' piece of conduit up to an outdoor fixture?
Conduit stub: to me says it is an open ended piece of conduit (sleeve)

from basement up to an outdoor fixture: to me says it is passing through a floor (again sleeve)

so if it is a sleeve it is permitted

right?

as soon as you put a box on the end of the conduit stub it is no longer a sleeve.

this is one that a general yes or no cannot answer would have to see it to tell if it is permitted or not

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

So let's say that it's not a sleeve. Couldn't I simply remove the outer jacket from the portion of the wiring in the EMT and use a transition fitting on the end of the EMT that attaches to the conduit and the NM?

macmikeman

Don't you think its sorta dumb that since the CMP for 2002 realized they made a mistake in the wording and fixed it for 2005, that any inspector who knows this would even bother to red tag somebody who ran nm cable in an indoor emt conduit where the code is still 2002?

automaton

WOW! I didnt realize I posted this under NEC. Thought I put it under another catg. No wonder I was confused. Everybody else is too. I have never been able to figure this one out based on peoples discussion back and forth.

I am running NM cable from the electrical panel thru open non-finished ceiling in basement. Once I get to the exterior wall, I would like to run into a conduit which is stubbed into basement to an LB then appoximately 10' to a outdoor security light fixture box surface mounted on wall. These are the exact details. Our city is Detroit, MI. which is uses michigan residential electrical code... based on NEC 2002. I have seen this sort of installation in the past, however I never knew for sure if it was within code. Since I plan to sell the house in the future, I would like to make sure everything is done above and beyond. I just cant see me running a full conduit run to the panel for this, doesnt seem necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.