Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: NM cable in conduit

Larry,

I could be reading sideways again, but your sheath appears to end several feet before it could be seen in the box--in a finished installation (after drywall), where is the marking?

There is no limit on length on conductors in a box.

In 2005, the code has changed a little (to my quiet dismay, over-wirer that I am) to require us to count conductors that are twice as long as required to be counted twice in box fill calculations. But this wouldn't apply in a panel, IMO. (Cabinet.) :)

automaton

I believe it is better to be safe then sorry I am running NM cable to a junction box then from there I am running conduit to the outside wall and to the light. I will be using THHN THWN that was my error earlier, simply left that out of my message. But I am glad that the issue of using THHN is not within code. I actually have never used just THHN except for some #6 ground wire maybe. Living in Michigan, I probably could get away with running the NM into the conduit, but I wouldnt want to risk any sort of sudden climate changes deteriorating the NM within the conduit. I am using all sealtight connections to reduce any water issues as well.

Thanks again for being so much help.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Larry,

I could be reading sideways again, but your sheath appears to end several feet before it could be seen in the box--in a finished installation (after drywall), where is the marking?
George, yes, the sheath ends feet before the conductors emerge from the conduit, just as single conductors would emerge from a conduit.

As for the markings, you're right: they wouldn't be there. How about a code proposal that even cabled conductors be individually marked?
There is no limit on length on conductors in a box.
No, and I'n sure that I've brought single conductors into a disconnect or other box short enough to make the markings unreadable.

Status
Not open for further replies.