NM-Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

myyz250

Can I staple NM cable to the bottom of the TGI's in a crawl space or do I have to Bore holes. I know in a basement I have to drill unless it is 2-#6 or 3--#8

[ February 20, 2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: myyz250 ]

rick5280

Re: NM-Cable

It's also ok to attach to running boards. See Article 334.15(C) for details. Through the prepunched holes in TGIs are alot easier than installing running boards.

Rick Miell

chris white

If you're only running a couple cables, a sharp 3/4" paddle bit blasts through those TJI webs pretty quickly with a battery drill. The prepunched holes almost never line up.

scott

I have a different point of view for crawl spaces only...

You do not need running boards for NM in a crawl space. You also do not need to drill or punch throuhg the TGI's in a crawl space. Stapling directly to the bottom of the TGI is perfectly acceptable in a crawl space.

Most TGI's have specific rules from the manufacturer and by building code allowing placement of non pre-punched holes in TGI's. In other words, drilling your own hole may weaken the TGI, and is generally frowned upon.

I would recommend stapling to the bottom - fastest, safest, yet still code compliant method.

Please note that this view is shared by all of the AHJ's that I have ever worked with. This view may not be the case in your neck of the woods, so I would check with your AHJ.

Enjoy your day!

Status
Not open for further replies.