NM wiring methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
As an interesting side note - 08 Exhibit 314.5 - I have been called out by inspectors for using the first knock out on 2X4 frameing. Two wires in one knock out was OK but needed to use the knock out farthest away from stud.
The 1 1/4" rule for protection from rock screws.
Lightitup,

Here's an even better thread that has a number of photos of what I'm talking about. My photos start at Post 13 in that thread.

lightitup

Thanks Al, I had not seen those threads before.
I believe most of the inspectors in the Twin Cities call it a violation. At least they did for a while.

I still do not use the first knock out if it's less than 1 1/4"

Dustin Foelber

stick to the code book

stick to the code book

I have had a number of things in the handbook challenged by inspectors. Best to stick to the code book there is definate conflicts.

millieamp

Thanks, Maurie for the tip about the UL White Book. So, I guess the verdict is: one cable per clamp. I also have never known about the first knockout rule either. This forum is excellent and an invaluable resource. I just wish the world wasn't so complicated and I want something done about it!

One-eyed Jack

That is really reaching for a violation IMO - While it is by the wording - If I remember correctly that code section contains the word "likely" and IMO the likelihood is low.... While many of us think rockers are not fit to breath air - the chances of a shiner screw or nail at the average hieght of a receptical is low - since said 'shiner' would need to be a full inch plus off and at just the right hieght.

LOL, I could not agree more!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.