no ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was changing recepicals that were not gfi on a kitchen countertop to gfis.. the feed is bx cable and they used nm to feed the plugs down stream..the problem was that the previous installer used a plastic workbox instead of metal so i could not use a grounding screw as my gorund i had wrap a groung around the metal shething of the bx cable and spliced the nm egc together the gfi works and as well as the regular plugs down stream on the load side of the gfi...is this ok to do . if the previous installer didnt use a plastic box i could have grounded the gfi properly ...is this ok to do

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would replace the plastic box with a metal switch box and do the install properly. What you did isn't compliant.

yes that would be the correct thing to do..how would i go about replacing the plastic box its secured to the studs plus its around the tile backsplach

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Get out the sawzall, cut the mounting nails, remove the plastic box and then install the metal box. Sorry but wrapping the EGC around the cable armor is pretty bad in my book.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You can use a sawzall as Rob suggested but generally I insert my screwdriver between the box and the stud and pry it off. Then I cut the nails with my pliers.

Occupation
Inspector
romex [COLOR=black said:
jockey101[/COLOR];1299746]i was changing recepicals that were not gfi on a kitchen countertop to gfis.. the feed is bx cable and they used nm to feed the plugs down stream..the problem was that the previous installer used a plastic workbox instead of metal so i could not use a grounding screw as my gorund i had wrap a groung around the metal shething of the bx cable and spliced the nm egc together the gfi works and as well as the regular plugs down stream on the load side of the gfi...is this ok to do . if the previous installer didnt use a plastic box i could have grounded the gfi properly ...is this ok to do

How could you wrap the NM ground around the BX and not be able to replace the box? I would have used a ground bushing in the plastic box to establish the ground for the NM.

kwired

Electron manager
How could you wrap the NM ground around the BX and not be able to replace the box? I would have used a ground bushing in the plastic box to establish the ground for the NM.

My guess is the BX cable was inserted through a clamp in the box that was designed for NM cable.

yes the bx was instaled through the plastic work box i undestand i should have removed the plastic box with a sawszall and used a old metal workbox..thank u,,,

i wraped a grounding conductor around the bx shething then i spliced that with the nm egc to give my plug a ground downstream on the load side . the gfi works and so does the plug on the loadside i understand this is not the proper install but i was working with the original hack job and i was suppose to be in and out...can you explain what you mean by bushing...thanksss

Last edited:

Occupation
Inspector
My guess is the BX cable was inserted through a clamp in the box that was designed for NM cable.

I know have a different image of the installation and I see what you are saying.

I don't use many plastic boxes with the clamps inside, are the clamps plastic or metal?

If metal could you use a ground clip on the clamp?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I know have a different image of the installation and I see what you are saying.

I don't use many plastic boxes with the clamps inside, are the clamps plastic or metal?

A metal clamp does not approve bx in the box. In fact a standard plastic box with a metal clamp is not a bx clamp. No more than a nm connector is approved for BX.

My bet is there is no clamp.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The bottom line is that, short of replacing the AC cable with NM cable, the box needs to be replaced with a code compliant box. Anything less is not the proper solution to the problem.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The bottom line is that, short of replacing the AC cable with NM cable, the box needs to be replaced with a code compliant box. Anything less is not the proper solution to the problem.

Being the BX cable was run into a plastic box (OP called it hack work) there is a high probability that the BX is not properly grounded at the panel or along the way. The OP said the GFCI's worked but since they will work without a ground, that's no sign, IMO, that anything is grounded. I would check all the way back to the panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Much like what this hack did wasn't compliant. I found this the other week at a high end country club clubhouse.

Actually I don't have a problem with a dead end bx or mc in a plastic box as long as it is bonded properly at the other end. I do realize it probably does meet 110.3 but in terms of safety it should be okay. Of course I see no ground for the grounded receptacle.

Being the BX cable was run into a plastic box (OP called it hack work) there is a high probability that the BX is not properly grounded at the panel or along the way. The OP said the GFCI's worked but since they will work without a ground, that's no sign, IMO, that anything is grounded. I would check all the way back to the panel.
i took my meter out and read 120 from the hot to the bx sheathing so it has to be bonded correctly at the panel...i thought gfi dont work without a ground bci tried it without the egc and the gfi didnt work..thank u 4 ure time

the plastic box has no metal clamps

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If the bx does not have the thin metal wire within the jacket then the jacket is not suitable as a ground. If a ground fault should occur it can be very dangerous and may cause the jacket to glow red without tripping the device.

Wrapping a wire around the bx is not a compliant means of grounding anything even if the bx has the thin wire strip.

If the bx does not have the thin metal wire within the jacket then the jacket is not suitable as a ground. If a ground fault should occur it can be very dangerous and may cause the jacket to glow red without tripping the device.

Wrapping a wire around the bx is not a compliant means of grounding anything even if the bx has the thin wire strip.
so is it dangerous the way it is

Status
Not open for further replies.