Non-Metallic box for light fixture crossbar needs grounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a violation. As Dennis stated the EGC must connect to the bar.
I am not convinced that applies. The title of 250.148 is "continuity and attachment of equipment grounding conductors to boxes." For (B) when it says "grounding continuity", given the title of that section, I am not sure they are referring to a fixture bar as a thing that has to have grounding continuity.

The term "likely to become energized" has been thrown around on this thread, is there a code basis for this? I am not seeing it.

410.42 seems to allow the mounting screws to not be grounded/bonded, not sure about the fixture bar, but I cant find anything saying it must be.

410.42 Luminaire(s) with Exposed Conductive Parts.
Exposed metal parts shall be connected to an equipment
grounding conductor or insulated from the equipment grounding
conductor and other conducting surfaces or be inaccessible
to unqualified personnel. Lamp tie wires, mounting screws,
clips, and decorative bands on glass spaced at least 38 mm
(11⁄2 in.) from lamp terminals shall not be required to be
grounded.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am not convinced that applies. The title of 250.148 is "continuity and attachment of equipment grounding conductors to boxes." For (B) when it says "grounding continuity", given the title of that section, I am not sure they are referring to a fixture bar as a thing that has to have grounding continuity.
After further review I agree that section is not directly correlated but the metal bar still is required to be connected to the EGC within the plastic box due to 250.148(D). By definition the bar would be a fitting that requires grounding.

250.148(D) Nonmetallic Boxes. One or more equipment grounding conductors brought into a nonmetallic outlet box shall be
arranged such that a connection can be made to any fitting or device in that box requiring grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.