Nonincendive Protection Method in Class 1, Div 2 Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

u791262

Is there anyone who might be able to help me with questions concerning Nonincendive Protection Method in Class 1, Div 2 Locations?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Yes. Section 501.10(C) and the defintion in 500.2 This hasn't always been true but it has been since ISA has basically taken control of limited energy systems (non incendive and intrinsically safe). ANSI/ISA-12.12.01

u791262

Thanks for your reply Bob. I am not finding Sec. 501.10(C) in either the NEC 2008 or 2011 editions. Is it possible you were referring to 501.10(B)(3). Also, since the section I just referred to mentions "simple apparatus", can a Honeywell tach sensor be installed in a Class1, Div 2 location and be considered as nonincendive without a control drawing? My inclination is no. I would think that if you cannot use Class1, Div 2 wiring methods, then to use the sensor, plus the associated wiring that goes into the hazardous location, it would have to be approved by a Third Party Testing Agency (NRTL) to be considered as a nonincendive circuit.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I have no idea how 501.10(C) popped into my head while I was typing :ashamed1: The proper reference is indeed 501.10(B)(3).

Simple Apparatus is defined in Article 504.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.