Occupancy sensors/ dimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I don’t do a lot of commercial work and have a question regarding individual room dimmers used in conjunction with occupancy sensors.

Is the easiest way to accomplish dimming just to install a 2 gang box and wire the dimmer to the load side of the sensor?

Im sure this sounds elementary but is there a better way or product used to accomplish this?

Thanks

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Almost all of that these days is done with a lighting control system. To do what you describe without a full blown lighting control you would still need some kind of dimmer that never turns off or compatible device system like the Maestro, if they even make a such a combo.

Awg-Dawg

Watt stopper relay and overhead sensor would work. You would have the dimmer preset to the level you wanted and control the switch leg.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
As to the question; yes, load side of the sensor to the dimmer. But wanted to add it’s pretty rare to see a wall box mounted occ sensor when using dimmers also on commercial.

Typically it’s going to be mounted in the ceiling and a dual-technology (ultrasonic/IR) sensor, then drop down to the wall dimmer.

And 99% of the time the engineer’s specs will require “factory commissioning” so make sure you are covered there if it’s in your specs. For me, this usually amounts to a factory rep coming by the job and saying “yep it works” or they might actually spend some time programming settings on the ceiling sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.